9/27/13 Hood River Trailride

Post your trailriding stories and ride reports here, whether dualsport or not.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

9/27/13 Hood River Trailride

Postby Tawmass » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:31 am

On a whim, and after seeing the impending rains of Biblical proportions, Walt "Walterio" and I decided to go make a quick day ride over in Hood River. Dave "Dive" also got wind of it and wanted to go, since he would be at the Coast for the next couple weeks. Rocket Rick and DougH were also supposed to go, but plans got derailed for them and they had to bail. Also on the list were KellyA and RollieW, but the staging area was sketchy.

We tried to beat as much of the morning rush hour as we could and pointed the truck East. We arrived at our obscure destination and unloaded. Kelly and Rollie still hadn't shown after we waited a bit, so we left a tad after 10AM. (Turns out Kelly and Rollie showed up around 10:15AM - dang.) We took the usual trails up to the top, then I decided to change things up and explore some areas I had not been on in years, and pointed the bikes in that direction. Once we got off the main trails and into the obscure ones, we were pleasantly rewarded with almost unused trails that were rather grown over in many spots. It was a trip through memory lane for me as I hadn't been on some of these trails in what seemed like 10 years! Nary a whoop and it was rather difficult to find my way, but the GPS pulled us through. Saw plenty of deer, fowl and other critters too.
Dave Klug photo

At about the 35-mile mark, the clouds started to look threatening, so we pointed the horses towards the barn and headed back. Turned out it was perfect timing as we started to get sprinkled on en route to our way back. By the time we had our scooters loaded into the back of the trucks, the rains started to commence. From there we headed to the Sawmill Pub for liquid refreshments, chow and some great Blues music playing. After a bit, Kelly and Rollie showed up, but the looming PDX traffic had us exiting earlier than we wanted.

What a super day, great riding buds, no dust, no mud, no crashes (barring Dive's 2 tipovers) - dirtbike nirvana! And we did it all before the monsoon!
-Tom
<<<watch in HD mode!
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

bin rydin
WFO
WFO

Re: 9/27/13 Hood River Trailride

Postby bin rydin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:25 pm

Wow, I am impressed that those 10 year old brain cells remembered the way out of there... Looks like you are starting out at Devils staircase, going up Surveyors ridge ? Nope those are not Easter Lilies growing up on top, I know, I just got finished planting the durn things for the last 10 weeks, then rustled up some firewood, and finally turned my attention back to the bike. Pulled off the front end drained out the black thick fork fluid, replaced the seals that had been leaking on the front break all of 2013, put in new fork boots and a braided front break line, and then some clear fork oil. So one last day before the rains returned (Nov 4th), I had to of course "Test" the bike. So I headed up from Smith River CA over to O"Brian OR on the very rocky Wymer & McGrew, down the Holiday to three ponds, and back west on the Gasket tole road, then up some single track over the top back into Smith River. 142 miles, no fork seal leaks, lots of rocks to test seals. Got to thinking if you wanted to move BD down here this loop would be a great Saturday ride with options at the AA+ level throughout the day. Sunday would be south of here, also some AA options there. Both could be out of perhaps a large rented pasture very near the start finish. Much of this is Del Norte county road that goes through the SR National rec area (USFS). The Del Norte supervisors would probably like the tourist attention, the usfs would probably not... But it would be a really different ride.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:26 am

bin rydin wrote:Got to thinking if you wanted to move BD down here this loop would be a great Saturday ride with options at the AA+ level throughout the day. Sunday would be south of here, also some AA options there. Both could be out of perhaps a large rented pasture very near the start finish. Much of this is Del Norte county road that goes through the SR National rec area (USFS). The Del Norte supervisors would probably like the tourist attention, the usfs would probably not... But it would be a really different ride.

Man, that sure sounds like a great ride Lee! Would love to move the Black Dog down there, or at least create a new ride, but it's six hours away! 8)
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

bin rydin
WFO
WFO

Postby bin rydin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:01 pm

Testing to verify if Tawm got addy fixed.

Return to “Plain Ol' Trail Riding”