2008 ISDE, Serres, Greece - GO TEAM USA!

Sabbaticals rock and here's the gory details. Read along if you want to be a groupie!

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:19 pm

NOTE: I am posting all my photos HERE!

* August 31, 2008, morning, Serres, Greece: After getting back from my Anti-Canadian Tour on Tuesday, I had one day to relax and try to get all my stuff together for flying out at 6:30am on Thursday to Greece for the other leg of my sabbatical. I got a phone call out of the blue from a guy in SoCal named Andy Klein (an old desert head) that he was my roommate at the hotel, which would help defer my already exorbitant costs for this trip - cool. My bud, Dave Klug gratefully offered to take me to the airport, so things were set.

Thursday morning came early, and not so bright, since the sun wasn’t up yet. Dave-O brought over his backpack that he’d already used in Europe on previous trips, plus brought his electric plug converter for me to use. A fun trip to PDX with Dave giving me all his tips and I was on my way! The first flight was to JFK airport in New York, a brief layover, then I was on my way to Rome, Italy for another layover to Thessolaniki, Greece, but not before having to hassle with updating my boarding pass. This was where I quickly learned that people here will cut in front of you in line without a second thought. I finally got to Thessolaniki, [flying over the Alps was beautiful!] but still no sign of my roommate Andy, who was supposed to be on the same last leg. I picked up my Hertz rental car (a small Opel) and left him Andy a text message. He quickly responded saying that his flight was late in Rome and would not be in for another 10 hours. So I started to drive my way towards Serres (about an hour away), but had no idea what I was in for regarding the local driving challenges!

I pulled out of the airport and tried to follow the travel instructions from the AMA, but wasn’t doing well. I saw a billboard about the ISDE, so looped back around to get a picture. A mile later was a major accident, with a car rolled over - whoa! People drive crazy here! Forget about lines on the highway or stop signs - who needs them! Everyone rolls or blows right on through stop signs - hey, they’re just suggestions! And driving down a two-lane highway, hey, make it three lanes! I quickly learned that, if there is a car behind you, you better stay to the far right of the lane, so they can pass, or they will blow their horns at you! Yes, that’s right, they will pass you in the MIDDLE of the highway, with cars approaching!

* September 1, Day one of the Six Days!
All, I apologize for no updates, but we've been REALLY busy, as expected. Here are some highlights and observations, but it's short, since the team is about ready to go!
-- it's pretty warm, but today is overcast
-- yes, the damn container came late, but we got everyone impounded
-- granite and rocky, but at the top of the mountain it's like riding in Heppner
-- the women here are smokin' hot
-- driving is whacked here - 'nuff said!
-- the opening ceremonies had a concert by Elena Paparizou, which appears like the Greek equivalent of Britney Spears and I must admit, she's smoking hot and put on a good show. The whole audience knew the words to all her songs!
-- Gunny & Laura - you are sorely missed by everyone! Bruce, Jay and Chuck are doing a good job though.

Gotta go, more tonight. Click the link above to go through the pix. I am uploading them now, but it will take a few hours. They should be in order and will either explain how things are going or generate tons of questions! :D
xoxo,
-Tom
Last edited by Tawmass on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

E-Ticket
WFO
WFO

Postby E-Ticket » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:23 pm

Congrats on making it past the border guards, Tawm!!

Glad to hear you made it okay - and that you have already found your rental bike! <LOL>
http://tawmn.smugmug.com/gallery/584435 ... 1374_pL7D8

Have too much fun ... you bastage. :dancing1:

Cheers! - RandyB
"AYHIN"

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F ("Wee Beasty"); '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
(AMA Member)
Wife: '22 Kawasaki KLX 140R F; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i (AMA Member)

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:10 pm

* September 2, morning: After the first day, the majority of Team USA is doing well. One club rider is out with a dislocated shoulder, and a few other club riders lost some time. Mason Harrison lost a couple minutes when his bike wouldn’t start after a special test. The rest of the Oregon boys (Rory, Dennis, Sean) are still doing well. Kurt Caselli had a scary moment when he t-boned a car when cutting a turn and he sailed over their windshield, but thankfully he’s okay as is his scoot. The course is proving challenging, since it’s very rocky with rocks of all sizes. Dennis said, “it’s a crappy course with very challenging terrain, which makes it fun.“ I am helping at check #2, then busting out to take photos each day. I left my laptop in upload mode all day. When I returned to the hotel, it was ONLY half uploaded, so the pix are slow folks - sorry! I took a boatload of pix in the special test yesterday and I will set to upload again, so I hope they make it! I’ll be lucky to even get this post uploaded.

After talking with Kato last night, he said Team USA is in third place and only 58 seconds behind first - yes! We have a great group of helpers and checkpoint people and I’m having blast. How can I not - I’m in freakin’ Greece at the ISDE!!!
Hugs & kisses,
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:31 pm

* September 2, evening: Wow, another crazy day! We did the usual rally-car racing to the summit of the ski area to set up for check two again. I’m not joking about the rally car - I’m wringing the snot out of the poor, little Opel and the longest straight section of the road is probably 1/8 mile. Also, I returned to the Acropol Hotel at the end of the day and only a handful of photos were uploaded. We’ve decided that the entire community is only on satellite, so that would explain the sluggish upload speeds. On that note, I only plan on uploading maybe 15 photos per day from now on (probably what you all would prefer anyways), so I can at least try to explain what’s going on over here.

Today was a sunny, clear day again in Serres. Due to his kick-ass tests on day one, Caselli was the first rider out and had no dust. On the first day, literally everyone complained about a nasty uphill section just before our check. Today I thought I’d find a different vantage point for pix and headed down that way. When I finally hiked the mile or two down there, I was immediately enlightened on the complaining. Holy crap, it wasn’t that bad of a hill, but was deteriorated into a horrible state of dust and rocks! It had about one foot of talcum dust, littered with rocks and boulders that often times the riders couldn’t see - nasty indeed. Notable points from my four hours down there, was Dennis Sweeten trying a bypass trail above the hill, tipped over, then came back onto the road again. When guys like Dennis tip over, you know it’s gnarly. All of the American riders paddled their way up the infamous hill eventually. Short-legged Mandi Maston was having a helluva time on her tiddler 125 and stalled it at one point about ¾ way up. A green Kawasaki with club rider, Fred Hoess, then pulled up beside her, started her bike with his left leg (then stalled his bike), then they both continued. That my friend, is a team effort! The pictures, as usual, don’t do the hill justice and make it look flat, but there’s no hiding the talcum dust!

I then made the long, hot ascent back to the check, grabbed the car and went elsewhere to get photos of a different piece of the trail sections. While there I found an ant’s nest, or shall I say, they found me - they bite - literally! Plus there are these prickly bushes that sting when they touch your skin. Add to that the sun, massive amounts of roost and dust, and I was one, very-sunburned dirt bag! While there I met a couple locals, who both were named Nick, so I named them Nick1 and Nick2 - great guys! After the last riders went through, I picked up my roommate at the check and club-rider Kevin Hutchinson’s wifey, Shanna. Then it was rally car time again down the mountain, which takes about 45 minutes. From Nawlins (New Orleans), Kevin is suffering from a possible torn ligament in his shoulder, but he’s determined to finish.

Once back at parc ferme (staging area), riders seemed in good spirits, considering the course. Rory Sullivan had busted off the end of his Husaberg shifter and could not get it off the spline. He’ll try again in the morning work period. Mason Harrison, Sean Sullivan (Rory’s brother) and Dennis Sweeten are both doing fine too. Mason said, “I almost t-boned a garbage truck, got chased by psychopath sheep dogs, and had a few stand offs with horses and cows.” Rory’s words of wisdom are, “Don’t break your shifter off at Six Days!” Sean said, “Make your blistered hands last!”

Regarding our Trophy Team, Caselli is in fifth place ‘after’ a one-minute penalty (he slid out in a test under the ribbon, and came back onto the test eight feet later. BS I agree, but without that penalty, he would have been almost 13 seconds ahead of Spaniard Cristobal Guerrero, and when everyone is that close, protests abound. The one-minute penalty put Kurt in fifth place, 47 seconds back. Ricky Dietrich is right behind Kurt and also hauling the mail. Nate Kanney is 18th, Destry Abbott is 33rd, and Jimmy Jarrett is 34th. Those are only preliminary results and they did not have the trophy team results yet. I’ve talked with Gunny for years about how fast the Euros are, and now I’ve seen it for myself. They race completely different than us. We seem to cut-and-thrust like MXers, and they seem like they run a gear higher, torque the motor, and carry huge amounts of corner speed - unbelievable to watch them. We look so much faster, but they clearly are faster.

More observations:
** The Europeans love their music, especially techno music or electronica or whatever they call it. They appear to love good ol’ rock n’ roll too! I’ve decided that, no matter how bad it is, their techno is better than rap - sorry kiddies.
** There are hardly any cops. With that, I’m starting to drive like the locals - God help me when I return home to the states!
** The food that the Hotel is serving daily is fine with me, however, Bruce Wakely (Team USA Manager) has not been happy and has complained heavily about the food. I’m thinking don’t torque off the cook! Lots of salads, rice, pork, chicken and fruit is served here. Oh, and bread with jam.
** Everyone is having a difficult time sleeping due to the extremely hard mattresses. Mine has two mattresses, but I’m thinking they are box springs, and sleeping on the floor may be softer! My room comes with nice, thick comforters, so I folded it up and slept on it last night. It ‘seemed’ better, but the cleaning maids threw a fit I think - my roommate Andy’s and my bed linen were left on a stripped bed upon return today. Hmmm…. Due to the firm bed, and me normally sleeping on my side, my hips are killing me. Wahhhh…
** I’ve only got one Euro-to-USA electrical converter (Thanks, Dive!) and it’s playing havoc on keeping my batteries charged up.
** They have some cool bikes here! Wish we could get some of their Honda TransAlps and Yamaha Teneres in the States! Hell’s fire, even some of their scooters look cool! (Did I really say that?)

Two days down,
-Tom

Kurt

Got dust?

Rory #767

Fred helping Mandi

Dennis #768

Sean #568

Mason #668

It’s all Greek to me!

Nick & Nick

Go Team USA!

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:20 pm

* September 3, evening: Bad news - Caselli is out. Word is that Kurt went over the edge on a test and got a big concussion - he even busted his helmet. Damn. Dietrich guided him back down to parc ferme and rumor is he was swatting at imaginary flies on the way down. I briefly talked to him tonight at dinner and his neck is tweaked and he may even have a broken collar bone. One of Spain’s big guns, Guerrera is also out with a broken leg I hear, plus rumor is that Rodrig Thain (France MXer) is out with a broken wrist. I was unable to get results today, as they were late, so at this point, all but Kurt out is rumor. After that, Dietrich is now the top American in fifth place. Today was over-the-hump day and it seemed like it was a bit easier on the riders. Day five is rumored to be the toughest day yet - oof!

Mason said, "What's up with all the dogs everywhere? You'll be out in the middle of nowhere and there'll be three dogs. At least none chased me today. I love rocks - they are my friend."

Chuck Weir from AMA said, "I'm so impressed with everyone's dedication. There's been a lot of tough breaks, but everyone's spirits are good. Gunny & Laura - wish you were here."

Nolan Irwin #666 (Devil Dude) said, "It's a fun course, but there's that one corner with dust and a rock!"

I had the distinct honor to hang with Mark “Kato” Kariya today. Mark has been with Cycle News, Dirt Rider Magazine and now freelances. I see him generally once or twice a year at various events and an invite to chum with the master was an opportunity I wasn’t going to turn down. This was a blast and Mark put up with my incessant questions and taught me a number of new tricks to try out with my camera.

I discovered that the hotel below me has slightly better internet connections, so am using that now and hope I can post a few more shots.
smoochies,
-Tom

Jeff Fredette showing off (FYI, this is his 28th ISDE!) - he cracks me up.

The dust is brutal on the riders! This shot reminds me of Baja.

They lock shopping carts in Greece and you have to PAY to use them! And check out the dishwashing detergent.

A pic of some local Betties.

Some of our guys peppered with a few other foreigners.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Hover, don't sit.

People show up from all over to score the take-off tires from the racers. And here’s our growing supply atop the storage container.

Sean Sullivan shows his trophy blisters.

Mark with the ant hill from Hell.

I love this shot!

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:24 pm

* September 4, evening: Everyone’s in and accounted for. Nichole Bradford lost a few minutes replacing a busted engine case, but Maria Forsberg and Mandi Mastin are still holding strong. On the trophy team, both Rick Dietrich and Nathan Woods bumped up and are doing a fine job of filling in for Kurt. Kurt still appears like his neck is tweaked somehow, but otherwise seems okay. Jimmy Jarrett whacked his foot pretty good and unsure how bad so far. All the Orygun Boys seem like they’re doing fine and happy to finish yet another day - Dennis’ face hurts, Sean and Mason hate their blisters and Rory is glad to have improved his standings today. Tomorrow is slated to be the toughest day yet and the attrition might run high. I ‘heard’ they’re not using that nasty uphill that was incorporated on days one and two - a good thing.

I was able to get out to a remote road section that a shepherd and goat was using and got chased by his dogs, had a lengthy conversation with a Swedish chase rider, then drove to the Red Bull terrain test. That thing looked like it took 10 minutes to finish!

We keep seeing the ISDE TV coverage on Greek TV - cool. Don’t know what they’re saying, but it’s still cool. Man am I whipped. All the sun, sticker bushes, dust, heat, long hours and lousy mattresses are wearing on me! I hope to sleep good tonight.

Did I mention that Greece (at least in the Serres area) looks a lot like Mexico, but the people have a bit more money. The people are extremely friendly, but everyone litters like crazy - damn! Oh yeah, I got pulled over by a local cop today. He said I ran a red light. Heck, neither I or my passenger Suzie even saw a light! I didn't have my passport or driver's license with me either. Thankfully he let me go. I was too chicken to take his pic!
-Tom
ImageImage

Two bad dudes: Salminen and Cervantes

Dust is king.

Yes, that's a goat herd in the background at the top! The scenery in spots is way cool too.
ImageImage

Questionable characters...

Some of the hosting club members: Nick, Vasilles, and George.

Cows and shrines - everywhere!

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:24 pm

* September 5, evening: Yes, the last day of riding for the team! They only have their respective MX tests tomorrow, then we pack up the container, go to the big ISDE party - then we’re done! I plan on partying big, as does everyone else! I have recorded quotes from most of our riders, but my wee laptop will take awhile to type that in. No big deals today, just one rider punched a hole in his clutch case and JB Welded it up - only lost a few minutes. Everyone is starting to get excited for the MX tomorrow, then it’s over. I again wandered all over the mountains and found some decent photos that represent Greece well, I think. Our trophy team is four seconds behind Finland in fourth place, so hopefully we can make it up in the MX. Considering we don’t have our big gun Kurt, we’re doing very well.

At the end of the day, everyone from checkpoint two stopped at a small taverna coming down the mountain. We befriended the owner, Angelo, and his family and they brought out some special home made Uzo type hootch that was strong! The people are sooooo nice and happy and they party every night - late! That explains why they close businesses from two to four!

Here’s the press release from the Greek organization. Enjoy the Greek spin!
smoochies,
-Tom

Fights in most categories for the last day. Only Juha Salminen celebrates already. Final Test will determine the winners but also the Trophy winner. The Greek Team is a close to the finish of the most difficult race of the season.

One day remains till the end of the most demanding race that has ever been organised in Greece, the 83rd ISDE. Usually the podium after the end of the 5th day has been determined. Differences have already been settled and only something unexpected can reverse the results. Buy not in this case!
Juha Salminen is the only one that is close to the victory. He is 1st in the overall classification with a safe difference of 1' 40" from the second in the overall; and 2’ from the 2nd of his category, Alessandro BELOMETTI. Apart of Juha victory nothing that can be taken for granted. In E1 category, Ivan CERVANTES built a gap of 40" from Ricky DIETRICH, which is not a safe difference. American Supercross star, R. Dietrich, will be confident in the last day’s final test. His statement "Tomorrow I will break the timers" creates extra stress to the Spanish rider.

E3 is more uncertain, while the difference between Stefan MERRIMAN and Marko TARKKALA is almost non-existent. The Australian, with constant attacks, passed from the 3rd place of his category to the 1st, but with only a difference of 6" from TARKKALA, who has an advantage in motocross tests.

The winner of the National teams is also pending. France from the first day was the leader of the race, tilll today...the Italians chose the 5th-and most difficult-day to make their attack. At the end of the day France was in the top with marginal difference of 1' 20". Finland passed in the 3rd place, and as the Americans dominate in motocross, an exciting battle is expected for places the 3rd place.

In women and junior trophy the situation is clear, France and Italy will be the wiiners of the categories.
The race of the 6th day takes place entirely in Serres Circuit, in the new motocross track. The drivers, in groups of 30, will compete a 20-minute motocross race, which will determine the final results.
For the 6th day: "Each second is precious"!

RESULTS
WORLD TROPHY (Overall Classification)
(9-2-1-1) SALMINEN J. 2:39':55".37 FIN –KTM (1-E2)
(8-4-3-2) CERVANTES I. (+1':41".12) ESP –KTM (1-E1)
(12-7-4-4) DIETRICH R. (+2':21".29") USA-KAW (2-E1)
(4-8-5-6) MERRIMAN S. (+2':39".72) AUS – APR (1-E3)
(13-6-6-5) TARKALLA M. (+2':46".17) FIN-KTM (2-E3)
(3-3-2-3) GUILLAME S. (+2':52".71) FRA - HVA (3-E3)
(11-10-7-8) NAMBOTIN C.(+3':13".09) FRA-GAS (4-E3)
(5-9-9-7) BELOMETTI A. (+3':17".55) ITA- KTM (2-E2)
(14-14-12-11) ALBERGONI S. (+3':51".86) ITA-YAM (3-E1)
(10-13-11-10) GAUTIER J. (+4':05"94) ΙΤΑ – ΗΟΝ (4-Ε1)

WORLD TROPHY
(1-1-1-1) FRANCE - 13:39':48".64
(2-2-2-2) ITALY (+1':21".95)
(6-4-4-4) FINLAND (+8':00".93)
(3-3-3-3) USA (+8':03".47)
(4-5-5-5) SPAIN (+14':46".20)
14. (15-15-15-14) GREECE (+1:29':55".50)

JUNIOR Trophy
1. ITALY – 8:19':26".89
2. AUSTRALIA (+10':17".23)
3. FRANCE (+13':06".72)
4. SPAIN (+17':23".41)
5. FINLAND (+20':47".24)
13. (14) GREECE (+1:50':33".22)

WOMEN CUP
1. FRANCE – 6:36':38".57
2. USA (+18':30".36)
3. SWEDEN (+1:35':23".44)
4. GERMANY (+6:49':35".90)

WOMEN (Overall Classification)
1. PUY Ludivine - FRA-GAS (185)
2. FORSBERG M. –USA –KTM (244)
3. PETRIK H. GER-KTM (250)
Participants of the 83th I.S.D.E.: 441
Retirements per day: 19-13-17-9-11
Continue to 6th day: 362
Total retirements till the 5th day: 69
Wins in Special Tests
SALMINEN J. - FIN - 10
WOODS N. –USA – 7
GUERRERO C. - ESP– 4
CASELLI K. – USA – 3
MERRIMAN – AUS - 2
GAULTIER –FRA-1
DIETRICH R. –USA -1
KUBICHEK –USA -1
Per Country
USA – 12
FIN – 10
ESP – 4
AUS - 2
FRA - 1

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

The checkpoint two crew!

She's sporting her countries colors! We nicknamed her 'Christmas'. :) Angelo and his family - we wanted to spend more time with them! He gave us all shots of Greek moonshine!
ImageImage

Even kitty loves Team USA!

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:03 am

Wow, what a crazy day, and wild ending for the ISDE! The results are below from the organization, but after packing up the container, we all went to a big party and many of us stayed out all night - whew! I have stories - I have pix! Today we went to a famous cave (Altomonita?) then hung out on the beach. Here's a few pix kind of in order as how things went - enjoy.
-Tom

What a blast!

ISDE 2008 has been completed with the Final Test of the 6th day.

France is the big winner with two victories, World Trophy and Women Team category, Italy wins the Junior Trophy and Ivan Cervantes the great is the 1st Overall! Salminen loses the victory through his hands. After 5 days, the results were judged in last hardly special.

In most of the previous races the winner is known from the 3rd day of the race, however this time happened the unexpected.. Three categories were open, as well as the classification of National teams. The results were determined in the final motocross test that took place in the circuit of Serres.

Big winner of the race was Ivan CERVANTES that entered in the Final Test with a marginal precedence in category E1 and the 2nd place in overall cat. Not only he managed to protect himself from the attack of Ricky DIETRICH, but he also managed to get the 1st place in Overall cat. No one could predict that Salminen would have such an unlucky day. Salminen had dominated this extreme endurance event from the second day, in the final motocross test on the motocross track inside the Serres Circuit, Salminen started strongly and was in front of the field when the race had to stop becasuse of an accident of the Spanish Lorenzo Santolino. The race began once more, but this time Salminen had a fall that resulted to the broke of its KTM accelerator and was forced to quit from the race.

The surprises however did not stop here. In the E3 cat., Stefan MERRIMAN that had climbed in the 1st place of his cat.,fall and Marko TARKKALA began to lead the race. At the end MERRIMAN got the 4rth placa after the French Sebastien GUILLAUME and Christophe NAMBOTIN.

France 1st position in World Trophy was strongly thretaned by the Italians, who were faster in the in final test of the 6th day, but no fast enough to get the big throphy.

In category E2, Belometti took an unexpected victory after the fall of SALMINEN, while THAIN and MOSINI gave a strong battle. At the end THAIN was the one who managed to climb in the second place of the podium, third was DINI Fabio and Mossini ended fourth.

In the women there were not any suprices. For one more time the French, Ludivine PUY achieved her objective, FORSBERG and PETRIK followed her.

The Italians gained Junior’s from the Australians. KTM was again the winner of the manufacturer Team. Japan gained the Watling Trophy for their fair play all those years in the enduro races.

Auto Moto Club of Serres – we cried, we laughed we made it!

The biggest organisation of mechanically-driven sports in Greece passed already in the history.

From Venezuela and Japan, up to the New Zealand and Canada, the missions from 32 countries declared that they are satisfied from the organisation of the ISDE2008.

300 marshals and officials cooperated for the organisation of the race.

The organisation would like to THANK ALL VOLUNTEERS, RIDERS AND MECHANICS FOR THEIR PARTICIPATION IN THE ISDE2008.

click to download photos in high resolution

RESULTS

WORLD TROPHY (Overall cat.)

1. (8-4-3-2-2) CERVANTES I. 2:55':23".78 ESP –KTM (1-E1)

2. (12-7-4-4-3) DIETRICH R. (+42".93) USA-KAW (2-E1)

3. (13-6-6-5-5) TARKALLA M. (+1':08".09) FIN-KTM (1-E3)

4. (3-3-2-3-6) GUILLAME S. (+1':21".38) FRA - HVA (2-E3)

5. (11-10-7-8-7) NAMBOTIN C.(+1':38".37) FRA-GAS (3-E3)

6. (5-9-9-7-8) BELOMETTI A. (+1.38".83) ITA- KTM (1-E2)

7. (4-8-5-6-4) MERRIMAN S. (+1':51".17) AUS – APR (4-E3)

8. (7-11-8-12-11) THAIN Rodig (+2':47".43) FRA –TM (2-E2)

9. (6-12-10-9--12) DINI Fabrizio (+2':50".27) ITA – YAMAHA (3-E2)

10. (10-13-11-10-10) GAUTIER J. (+3':08"62) ΙΤΑ – ΗΟΝ (3-Ε1)

116. (85-100-111-111-105) SIAFARIKAS V. (+20':18".02) HΟΝ (31-E1)

152. (172-178-178-165-152) KINONAS G. (+27':15".86) KTM (42-E1)

170. (195-186-191-176-167) PRASSOS A. (+29':41".54) KTM (37-E3)

171. (179-175-180-175-170) TSAKATSONIS D. (+29':44".76) KTM (43-E2)

178. (177-197-194-182-174) MANTAS S. (+31':20".45) HUS (45-E2)

208. (227-212-224-221-208) KOKKINOS Dim (+39':42".13) HUB (44-E3)

WORLD TROPHY

1. (1-1-1-1-1) FRANCE - 14:50':25".78

2. (2-2-2-2-2) ITALY (+53".59)

3. (3-3-3-3-4) USA (+8':20".04)

4. (4-5-5-5-5) SPAIN (+16':27".05)

5. (6-4-4-4-3) FINLAND (+18':22".39)

14. (15-15-15-14) GREECE (+2:04':53".75)

JUNIOR Trophy

1. ITALY – 9:02':23".57

2. AUSTRALIA (+12':13".00)

3. FRANCE (+14':58".31)

4. SPAIN (+19':33".19)

5. FINLAND (+23':46".95)

13. GREECE (+1:56':04".92). FRANCE – 7:10':18".72

WOMEN

1. PUY Ludivine - FRA-GAS (185)

2. FORSBERG M. –USA –KTM (242)

3. PETRIK H. GER-KTM (246)

Victories in ST

SALMINEN J. - FIN - 10

WOODS N. –USA – 7

GUERRERO C. - ESP– 4

CASELLI K. – USA – 3

MERRIMAN – AUS - 2

GAULTIER –FRA-1

DIETRICH R. –USA -1

KUBICHEK –USA -1

CERVANTES – ESP -1

Per country

USA – 12

FIN – 10

ESP – 5

AUS - 2

FRA – 1

Visit www.isde2008-live.com to get the analytic results of the day in all categories

ImageImage
Last edited by Tawmass on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:31 am

Man, it was so freakin' hot taking pictures of the last day! We had a clock/thermometer inside the team tent that got as high as 113 degrees - no wonder I'm baked! It had to be close to 100 in the sun. Even the locals thought it was hot. And the racers had to do eight, hot laps of it! The track had sprinklers that would occasionally come on though, so that helped with the dust. Funny deal though, right AT the start of one race, the sprinklers started to come on, and everyone freaked! Fortunately someone must've recognized the screw up and they went right back off. :) Can you imagine racing with sprinklers?

At the start of one of the trophy motos, a spanish racer augered HARD just after the riders exited the pavement to MX track. The race was red flagged, the racer eventually got up (thankfully) and the race was restarted. To clear up any rumors, Juha hit a barrier, swapped out and bailed. Destry was close behind, hit his bike and bailed too. In this crash, Juha lost his throttle cable and was out, along with Finland's lead. What a bummer for Juha, and I believe this is the second time this has happened to him. Destry got back up and did a helluva job working back up again. ALL the USA riders did a helluva job! It was such a thrill to be a part of this truly international event - and it lasted for a week!

After the last moto, Cervantes won, with Dietrich second. Those two guys rode like the wind! The French went absolutely crazy upon the realization that they won, as did the Italians for second! And how about our USA trophy team getting third?! And our women's team getting second?! That evening there was a huge celebration and the singing, screaming and boozing went rampant. Everyone was jumping (or being thrown in) the pool [I narrowly avoided it - I had two cameras!]. Then everyone went to some local nightclubs, there was almost a confrontation, and more singing, partying, pretty women, etc. It was a very late/early night. All the streets had these cool ISDE posters and everyone was snagging them. I got out too late and missed getting one. However, on the way home, (Jimmy & Barb Jarrett, Shanna and I in a taxi) we stopped the taxi and Barb and I helped lift Jimmy onto a pole for a poster, but the top piece wouldn't disconnect - we were bummed!

Here's a few more pix of the evening and the following day. Now I'm officially back on vacation and do not have a clue what I am going to do. Renting a motorbike is ungodly expensive, but I must get out. But only after resting for a day maybe. Maybe I'll go to Athens, then ferry out to one of the islands...

For those of you actually reading all this drivel, CLICK HERE to see the next leg of my sabbatical.
-Tom
One last burnout before returning the rental bike!
The elated Frenchies!
Maria getting tossed, and Ricky also getting tossed!
ImageImage
Bartender Kurt.
Jeff Fredette and Fred Hoess trolling for more beers.
No excitement here!
Jeff trying to put a sticker onto a well-placed location, but she wouldn't have any of it!
One of the Finnish guys passed out and, well... Don't go to sleep in a night club!
Connie and the final notes.
Two caves.
ImageImage
A Greek postcard! I want tickets for that bus!
A beach on the Aegean Sea.
Sean drying out his shorts.
Last edited by Tawmass on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm

September 9, 2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Telephone: (614) 856-1901 ext. 1258
E-mail: cfleming@ama-cycle.org
American Motorcyclist Association congratulates Team USA on successful showing at International Six Days Enduro

Pickerington, Ohio - The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) congratulates the members, volunteers, sponsors and staff who were part of the Team USA effort at the International Six Days Enduro (ISDE) in Serres, Greece, this September 1-6. The U.S. Trophy Team finished on the podium, the team's best result at the ISDE since the Trophy Team finished second in 1982, while the U.S. Women's Trophy Team finished second in the women's division and the Junior Trophy Team scored a hard-fought 12th.

"The ISDE represents one of the most difficult tests of man and machine, and the AMA is proud of the riders and crew who made this year's Team USA a success," said Bryan Cohn, AMA senior director of racing. "The effort this year was one of the most organized ever, and that was reflected in the results. Despite a few bad breaks, Team USA had a strong showing among the world's best off-road riders at what, historically, has been one of our most challenging events."

The U.S. Trophy Team faced huge odds this year. On the third day of the contest, the team's strongest rider, Kurt Caselli, crashed out of the event. Caselli, the early leader of the event, was battling for the overall lead with multi-time ISDE overall top rider Juha Salminen. Despite the loss of Caselli and riding with only five of six allowable riders, the U.S. Trophy Team's remaining members claimed a coveted podium finish, edging Finland for third overall on the last day.

In all, Team USA scored 10 gold, 15 silver and two bronze medals, with another finisher. There were two DNFs. This is one of the U.S. team's strongest performances at the "Olympics of Motorcycling."

"This has been a tough road to get here this year, but a number of individual volunteers stepped it up and we had a fantastic ISDE," said Chuck Weir, AMA Off-Road Director. "Bruce Wakeley, Jay Hall and all of the volunteers who worked in the checks and works areas to service the riders as they arrived really stepped up. Even though long-time supporter Rick 'Gunny' Claypoole couldn't make it this year, he has taught us well and we carried on, and I think we did a great job.

"Of course, the riders deserve the bulk of the credit," Weir added. "Some highlights include U.S. Women's Trophy Team member Maria Forsley, who finished second in her class in her first ISDE. Jeff Fredette received the first-place trophy for riders over 50. Ricky Dietrich finished second in the E2 class and second overall. Rory Sullivan captured second in the tough C3 class."

A number of dedicated sponsors kicked in critical funds and other means of support to the entire Team USA effort. Companies that made Team USA a possibility in 2008 included Arai Helmets, Spectro Lubricants, Kenda Tires, Bob Lamphere's Beaverton Honda Yamaha, MSR, Tucker Rocky, Mountain Glass and Fly Racing. Also helping out were all the die-hard fans who bought an official Team USA ISDE T-shirt, all proceeds of which went to support the transport of riders, bikes and crew to Greece.

In addition, the AMA recognizes the successful efforts of these riders at the 2008 ISDE:

Trophy Team: Kurt Caselli, Ricky Dietrich, Jimmy Jarrett, Destry Abbott, Nathan Kanney, Nathan Woods

Junior Trophy Team: David Kamo, Joe Giordano, Ben Smith, Ryan Lee Powell, Josh Morros

Women's Trophy Team: Nicole Bradford, Amanda Mastin, Maria Forsberg

Club Teams: JAFMAR, Dennis Decker, Jeff Fredette, Eric Jordan; Lubbock Trail Riders, Dan Capparelli, Nolan Irwin, Kyle Kubitschek; Missouri Mudders, Lars Valin, William Burns, Ben Smith; Desert MC, Chilly White, Sean White, Kevin Hutchinson; Carter Engineering, Annell Allen, Jim Conner, Justin Lipana; Team Oregon, Dennis Sweeten, Mason Harrison, Sean Sullivan; Trail Riders of Houston, Fred Hoess, Luke McNeil, Rory Sullivan.

The ISDE is one of the longest-running competitive events in motorcycling. It began in Carlisle, England, in 1913 and has run every year since with the exceptions of breaks for the two World Wars. Today, the ISDE is one of the most grueling, longest off-road races in the world.

In addition to overall team honors, riders earn medals for their performances. Riders who finish within 10% of their class winner receive gold medals. Riders finishing within 40% of that score receive a silver medal. Riders finishing the event with never being more then one hour late for any check get a bronze medal.

About the American Motorcyclist Association
Since 1924, the AMA has promoted and protected the motorcycling lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life and they navigate many different roads on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycle organization with nearly 300,000 members, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international governing organizations and the court of public opinion. Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition events than any other organization in the world. Through its Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations. For more information, visit www.americanmotorcyclist.com.

Return to “Tom's World Rock Tour August~September 2008”