4/5/18 Dualsporting Southern California With Dave, Tiny & Bill

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

4/5/18 Dualsporting Southern California With Dave, Tiny & Bill

Postby Tawmass » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:36 pm

DaveR took his own truck and left earlier, but Tiny Knight, Bill Ward and I met up at Tiny's in Medford at 6AM then pointed his truck south.

Along the way, there were stories to be told and we saw the caravan of Monster Energy Trucks heading to the Seattle Supercross (for the following Saturday Night Festivities). Almost 12 hours later we were at our destination of a hotel in Arroyo Grande, only slightly later after stopping at the very famous James Dean Shrine at the intersection of his demise. A crazy intersection indeed!

We then unloaded and hiked downtown Arroyo Grande and arrived to a great place for dinner.

Then we stopped at a local ice creamery and it was lights out back at the hotel.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 4/5/18 Dualsporting Southern California With Dave, Tiny & Bill

Postby Tawmass » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Day One

Early Thursday morn we headed to SeaneS's House in Santa Maria (an old friend of Dave's and his dog 'Dude'), parked our rig and proceeded to get ready. Bill got the vacation started by having his mighty BMW fall on the curb as he was getting ready. Some fixing with a metal coat hangar and we were ready.
Dave and our incredible host Seane

After a tasty breakfast in Santa Maria, we headed out into the country, filled with vineyards and greenery. We even went by the Fess Parker Vineyard! The area has been devastated with rain and wildfires, but was still beautiful!
Tiny's initials?

https://vimeo.com/264641280 <----Click here if you are having streaming problems. Music inspired by Tom.

We started out on Figueroa Mountain Road, then made our way further to the Pacific Ocean via Camino Cielo Road, then finalized our way to Gorman via Hwy 33. At the end of the day we'd ridden 221 fun-filled miles!
-Tom

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Day Two

After a nice meal, we had a good night's sleep and were raring to go on Day 2. We did get a chuckle at the hotel's efforts to scare of the starlings, but they weren't fooled. We loaded up and headed west to Frazier Park for breakfast after topping off the tanks.

Bill doing his part to keep things green.
Carrizo Plain National Monument

We headed over Cerro Noroeste Road, through the Carrizo Plain National Monument, went over Pozo Road, circled around and came down McGinnis Creek Road to Hwy 58, turned off onto La Panza Road and onto Hwy 41. We turned toward Parkfield from the James Dean Memorial Intersection. I ran out of gas at 185 miles and Dave came to the rescue with a hidden stash of gas he carried. We ended up in Parkfield, where we had a great visit with the bartender and she informed us how popular Conor McGregor is and that the country was still mourning the loss of Cranberries lead singer Dolores O'Riordan. What a great location and visit!

Going over the Parkfield Grade was epic! We eventually made our way into Coalinga 210 miles later at the Laura Motel. Tiny had reserved it that morning due to my suggestion, since it was rated four stars. We subsequently think it should be rated more like one star.
-Tom

https://vimeo.com/265444996 <----Click here if you are having streaming issues. Music inspired by Dave.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Day Three

Overnight I had acquired a bad cold and a cough, but we were up early and headed to breakfast. I also had to go to Rite-Aid for a new memory card and some Mucinex. We left the Coalinga oil rigs and made our way west over the Los Gatos Road. Of course it started to rain along the way. However the rains only lasted an hour or so and that was it - perfect timing for us!

We made our way to the California Coast and Hwy 1, but a landslide closure of Hwy 1 had us returning the same way we went over, then we beat feet to King City. A hot shower and cocktails topped off the day. This day's total was 245 miles!
-Tom

https://vimeo.com/265828012 <---- Click here if you are having streaming issues. Music inspired by Tom and Dave.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:39 pm

The Final Day Four

We awoke from the quaint hotel in King City rested and refreshed for our last day. My cold/cough was still getting the best of me, but I was up early and went in search of a Starbucks. Found it. Due to our reroute from the day prior, we had to stay on Hwy 101 for awhile (yawn), however Dave did take us on yet more epic tidbits off the beaten path.

It was a highway drone south to just below Paso Robles and we took the Santa Ria Creek Road to the Coast. Wow, we had some great vistas heading up over the mountains, then the pavement stopped and we followed the canyon surrounded by trees and old hippy homes - good stuff! We soon came out on the Coast at trendy Morro Bay and headed south again on Los Osos Valley Road. We turned out of San Luis Obispo and headed west again up Prelumo Canyon Road over the top to See Canyon Road. We then rode Davis Canyon to the beach town of Avila Beach and took a break on the pier at Port San Luis, where we parked in a sketchy spot and saw sea lions swimming around.

We soon headed south again by Pismo Beach and continuing through the little villages and farmlands of Hwy 1. We passed by Vandenberg Air Force Base and took Hwy 135, to Hwy 101 to the town of Solvang, where the most excellent Solvang Motorcycle Museum was! We spent quite awhile checking out the classic motorbikes and visiting with the host. The stories each bike could tell!

Once we left there, it was back out to Buelton to AJ Spurs for dinner. We were of course hungry and thirsty and settled in, when some lady walks up and says, "So you must be the guys from Oregon!" Gee, I don't remember carrying a flag that said that. Come to find out it was Seane's daughter Janine, who works there and her Dad had forewarned her about our arrival. Fun stuff!

After dinner it was another drone ride back to the finish of our trip at Seane's House, where he rolled out the red carpet once again for us and barbecued California style in his back yard.

My Daughter's namesake

https://vimeo.com/266734410 <---- Click here if you are having streaming issues. Music inspired by Tiny.

"So you are the guys from Oregon?"

This day's total was 218 miles!
-Tom

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:54 am

In Summary

Since I had earplugs in, I was sleeping okay and the Mucinex was allowing me to breathe. I was awakened early in the morning by Bill grabbing my foot and I came up swinging, much to his and Tiny's entertainment!

We loaded up the bikes in Bill's trailer and pointed Tiny's pickup north. I was still feeling pretty sickly and never took the driving helm, which was probably a good thing! What a great trip with a great group of guys! In four days we totaled 893 miles and no crashes, accidents or breakdowns and got to see some spectacular parts of California - yes!
-Tom

Return to “Dualsporting In General”