2005 Simple Simon Ride Report and Pix

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

2005 Simple Simon Ride Report and Pix

Postby Tawmass » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:45 am

(You can see a few of my pictures by clicking the following link: http://tawmn.smugmug.com/gallery/890068 )

This event was the last event for 2005 of the OMRA Dualsport Series. The staging area was at the historic Flying M Ranch out of Yamhill, Oregon. You can see their flyer here:

http://www.mtscottmc.com/simplesimon.html

Frank Noe and his wife, Aaron, had rented one of the cabins at the resort and invited Ellen, Ariel and I to share. Good choice. Ariel and I showed up Saturday afternoon and Frank already had things set up, complete with the woodstove burning to warm the cabin. Ellen showed up later, since she had to work Saturday. Later that night we hit the lounge inside the lodge and things were hopping, complete with a country live band.

Waking up Sunday morning was difficult, to say the least. Thank God for Frunk's latte machine. :coffee2: During the night, some neighbors (who were all there for a big wedding) had been outside four wheeling around the resort yelling "Yeehaw!" Yes, Margaret, we were out in the sticks. We all eventually started stirring and made it to the rider's meeting, then went to the lodge for breakfast. Very tasty, but it got us out kind of late. Frunk and Aaron had already jetted, so Ellen and I were the last ones out - after the sweep crew! #-o The start check had a game of stacking wooden coins on top of a bottle - not easy when your OD'd on caffeine!

It had rained the last few days, so was very moist out, but on this day it was overcast and the forecast was for things to open up to nicer weather. Ellen and I took off from the ranch riding the B course, since she is still very new to riding. The course was largely based off the Nestucca OHV Riding Area, so it was gravel road to Nestucca River Highway, then pavement to Grassy Flats. From there it was gravel and dirt roads interspersed with occasional easy trails (which turned out to be challenging due to the mud). The first checkpoint had a dart throwing game, then we were off again.

The first trail section had a downhill that was goey and rutted. That was Ellen's first tumble and I rescued her from her bike being on her leg. She bulldogged down the hill only to have her bike's starter no longer work. About this time, here came Frunk, Aaron and the sweep crew, so we were the bottleneck. #-o After bump starting her bike, we were off again with Ellen's bike idle turned up a bit higher to help keep her from stalling it.

Later on, we rounded a turn and there was Aaron standing alongside the road without her bike. What the ?? Her bike was around the corner and she had lost charge in her battery too and couldn't get her bke started, so I bump started it for her and she was off again, since Frunk just showed up.

The rest of the ride was fairly uneventful, but enjoyable. It started to mist on our lenses, but nothing unmanageable. At the end of the day Ellen only had three lipskids and she was still happy. I call that a fun, successful day! :occasion7: At the finish, they had a check game with actual bowling - this was a riot.

Huge props to Al McCutchan, Steve Simon, Rich Jagow and the rest of the Mt. Scotters for hosting another fine event. Sure hope we have as many fun events like this next year!
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Dualsporting In General”