Rider Down!

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

Danno
VIP
VIP

Rider Down!

Postby Danno » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Everybody please keep Mike Brown in your prayers! He broke his leg at the Fort Rock dual sport ride Saturday. The break is below the knee and surgery was supposed to happen today. Steve was at the hospital and reported that he was quite bummed. Besides the pain, he will be missing the DS series and both were wanting to make it the whole year. Mike, Steve and Jim Loveall were great help working on the Black Dog this last year and I hope Mike will have a speedy recovery. Jim was going to get info so I will pass on anything that I can.

Danno
"I usually tighten my nuts better"

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rider Down!

Postby Tawmass » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:29 am

Dan, I did not know of this until I got the following email from Jim Loveall. Damn, damn, damn! I'll be calling up both Mike and Gene today for updates and if I can help with anything.
-Tom
Tom: You may have already heard about Mike Brown, but, I will tell you anyway.... We were riding the "Ft. Rock D.S. ride" this last weekend and about 60 miles, out of 170, Mike rear wheel kicked out and he went to put his foot out and we think he hit a rock and broke his leg..... He broke it just below the knee and there is a piece of the bone that broke loose. He went into surgery Monday (today) at St. Charles in Bend.... His wife came up on Sunday and is going to drive him back to G. Pass.... Steve and everybody else loaded up all the equipment and Steve drove his pickup back to G.Pass. Steve had to follow Tiny and Willie back because he had never been to eastern Oregon and did not know hoe to get back....
I tried to call him today to tell him if he needed anything I would do it, but, he did not answer and did not return my call..... He will be out of commission for a long while and probably will not be able to help you on the rat - dog, but, he will contact you I am sure......

Also, Gene Ziegfeld (not sure of the spelling) [Sigfrid] crashed on Sundays run and broke his hand. I just received a phone call from Gary Lande and that’s all I know...

Well, you are now caught up on the news as far as I know....

Take care and we will see you next year as you know we are leaving on Aug. 1st for the southeastern part of the U.S. on our way to Arizona.....

Be Safe

Jim Loveall
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Danno
VIP
VIP

Postby Danno » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks for the up-date guys! I knew Gene hurt his hand but didn't think it was that bad. Wow! I'm praying for a speedy recovery for both guys...
"I usually tighten my nuts better"

maddogmurphy
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby maddogmurphy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:39 pm

I got them ALL BEAT!!! I head-ond with a log truck june 20th right here in downtown Vernonia...luckily, the log truck was nearly undamaged and was back on the road that evening! I, however... suffered a broken sternum, EIGHT busted ribs, a collapsed lung, a dislocated shoulder, two sprained ankles, three sprained fingers, and last, but certainly the worst... a broken left hip! I was restrained on a back board by expensive medical duck tape and kept "unconscious" for three weeks, then spent another 6 days in ICU... the worst part of this time was the severe cotton mouth due to the traecheotomy and direct ventilation tubes making it impossible to drink ANY water...The various hallucinations I suffered were actually kinda too fun at times, so the loving doctors saw fit to feed me potassium chloride to keep me in control... :lol: I was then moved to a recovery unit where they promptly LOST ME for several hours...seems I had been wheeled into the wrong room... While attempting to get to the toilet, I crashed into a heap on the floor of the room and RIPPED the feeding tube out of my belly!...I finally got an orderly's attention by slapping the wall with one of my still healing hands(remember the traech? NO VOICE!!!)....another five days passed before I could begin to hobble around with a 4 point walker... 5 more days, and I was well enough to return home to the filthiest floors in history... my dogs had run amuck while I was away...Luckily, the neighbors had been feeding them and let them out three times a day to "exercise", but still...
Anywhoooo... six more weeks have drifted off the calendar, and I am now recovering quite well, able to walk and talk just like a regular human, which is, of course, all new to me! I had been planning on locating and purchasing a decent little dual spurter and heading out to help again with events, but now I dare not ride since once busted, the hip just won't take kindly to even a light crash...
Tawm... I'll definitely want to work a checkpoint next year... I wanna get out into the hills whenever possible now, after spending a really great summer taped to a board and staring out at sunrises through a dirty window...Ken Maddog Murphy ... anyone remember how to play "dog balls" ????

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:06 am

Wow Ken, that is quite the ordeal, but glad to hear you are healing and that you're back into dualsporting somehow! Talk about a blast from the past! I heard you were living in Vernonia, but nobody had heard of you. Glad you came out of the woodwork!
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

maddogmurphy
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby maddogmurphy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:59 pm

hope mike and gene are getting better too... I'm healing quite well now and looking forward to resuming work by , oh ,November or so... can't wait to work a checkpoint next summer and see all the happy faces in helmets... and to play pranks on Tawm to pay him back for all those times he reached over and flipped my kill switch to the "OFF" position as we cruised along a fast bit of pavement at 65 or so... :twisted: \:D/ :ride

Return to “Dualsporting In General”