9/23/13 Dualsporting To Pacific City And Back

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

9/23/13 Dualsporting To Pacific City And Back

Postby Tawmass » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:38 am

Early Monday morning I got a text message from Frank Noe, "Last minute TT to the coast! Newell's at 10!!" I had an appointment, but was able to juggle things around, so got suited up to head out on the big 650L Honda. NOAA predicted 80% rain - not good, so I bundled up in my cool-weather/waterproof riding gear and headed to Dave Newell's place. Kevin Jansen was also going. All three work at Beaverton Honda-Yamaha and they were planning on making the best of their day off.

After busting my fanny to get to Dave's in time, they said Frank's bike quit and we were to meet him at a pub in Carlton, so off we went on obscure backroads. Once there we topped off the tanks and went ahead and had lunch since Frank texted Dave at 11:30 that he was just now leaving his home, so would be another hour.

Frank finally showed up and it was time to go. Evidently his Beta 525 locked up on the highway, he got hauled back home and fired up the Beta 250 (with 350 kit) as plan B.

We headed out Nestucca River Road, where a Bambi darted between Dave and Kevin, which must've scared the poo out of KJ (see video below)! Then we turned north onto Elk Creek Road. We headed up over the top, dropped down and made our way to the minimally-known Lake Tahoe.

Dave and Frank had bonafide knobbies, I had somewhat aggressive dualsport tires, but Kevin had stock 650L tires, which were basically road tires with some siping. Gravel was okay for him, but anything else off road was extremely sketchy! Plus he was only wearing minimal dirtbike foul-weather gear, so he was wet quickly and stayed that way the entire day.

We continued up over BSM Road, Munson Falls Road, then to Beaver. Going over the top of Munson Falls Road was so thick with fog and massive rain, that it was like looking through a fishbowl! Once in Beaver, we decided to take an old, gravel-road route over to Pacific City and make our way to the Pelican Pub on the beach. This is where it got slimey and greasy. Add to that limbs were plentiful to catch your tires on, and things got interesting. Since Kevin's tires weren't doing so well, Dave and Frank got away and we got split up. My motto is to always go back to the last-known location, but KJ said that he knew Newell well and that they were probably already at the Pelican Pub, so we elected to take the highway route to the beach. Sure enough, just as we were pulling into the Pelican, there was Dave and Frank just parking - perfect timing!

After the Pelican, we headed back over the dirt road that Dave and Frank took going out and it was a blast. After retopping off the tanks at Beaver, we basically hauled the mail back to Carlton, where I split off. At the day's end I logged in over 200 miles of riding in the rain and having a great time! Glad I got off the couch!
-Tom
<<<be sure to watch in HD, full-screen mode!
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Dualsporting In General”