Lost Coast Ride

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

bin rydin
WFO
WFO

Lost Coast Ride

Postby bin rydin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:00 pm

I had a couple of knobbies that needed to be worn down enough to put the new ones on so I headed down to the "lost coast" area of northern California to work the last few centimeters of rubber off. Camped in the big redwoods along the Van Duzen river, a liitle frosty in the morning but nice sunlight in the day. This was November 24-25, some of the last good fall days. Sunday I headed north, after just 0.9 miles of pavement I was on dirt, I went up into the almost uninhabited "Kneeland" area, then on into Maple Valley, then east, them south into "Bridgeville" on hiway 36, then back to camp. 145 miles, got in at dark 530 PM, still had some rubber left on the olde knobbies.
So Monday I headed South from Bridgeville up on the ridgetop thru Blocksberg, past Alder Point, Cut over to old "Harris" then "New Harris", then diverted into the "Island Mountain" area where probably half the marijane growers have their "farms". Talk about bad roads and worst drivers, I was glad to get out of there without being a hood ornament on a F350, they probably would not have even noticed. Once I got out of that area I turned south on Bell Springs Road, and saw almost no traffic for 30 some miles, just 1 quad and two road graders up on that ridgetop. I ended up hitting hiway 101 at about 3 PM, some 100 miles from camp and about 4 hours the way I had come without all the detours, so I had only one option, check it in sixth and drone up the 4 lane 101 at 50 MPH being passed at 70+ constantly, but I made it back to camp by 530 PM, dark, this ride was 188 miles & I still had a little rubber left but my calves were not up to another day. Shucks, I have to go back there again... There are a good 5 different days that I know about in that area and the safest time to ride down there is the "off season".

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lost Coast Ride

Postby Tawmass » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:21 am

Sounds fun! Now if you'd only post up something with a map, like a GPS tracklog! :wink:
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

bin rydin
WFO
WFO

Postby bin rydin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:54 pm

I went back last weekend and camped in Richardson Grove (Big redwoods) just south of Benbow off Highway 101. Day one loop went the backway to Garberville, up the east hill towards Harris, but took the ridge north toward Fort Steward, on to Eel Rock, what they call the Dyersville loop, down to the river by Founders Grove, and under 101 to Honeydew, then down the backway to Shelter Cove, on down the Chemice to the Usal Road. They closed the Usal Road with a mammoth gate (It is now a State Park) for the winter and I did not want to get stuck on that 26 mile dirt way after 3 PM as there would be no one ever coming through there until next spring, so I diverted through Whitethorn and snuck into camp at dark thirty. There was ice on every shaded stretch the whole day long, about 140 miles of tip toeing around each corner often going for the better traction in the ditches. The next day I went East to where I thought there would be more sun & less frost, and there was. Same way out but then towards Blocksburg from Fort Steward. I had been passing this dirt road over the years and today I was going to find out if I could get over to Eel Rock on it, some maps show you can but you know how that goes. Well I just kept passing these huge water tank farms sitting above huge greenhouses, that smelled like billions of skunks. I must have gone by hundreds of these until the road got kind of single tracky and I realized I was probably heading into the last "farm" so I High Tailed it out of there and headed up to Kettenpom. That road just got paved in November, it has always been a crappy road but civilization has reached out the Kettenpom. Kettenpom has real friendly people at the store, gasoline, and Mexican Coke (in a bottle, with real sugar, not corn syryp, and not that mexican coke :idea: ). Headed out of there 330 PM and boogied through Alder Point over the ridge to Garberville and back to camp. I know Tom wants a map but I promised the growers I would never tell anybody where I was and they let me go.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:10 am

bin rydin wrote:I know Tom wants a map but I promised the growers I would never tell anybody where I was and they let me go.

Damn them! :lol:
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Dualsporting In General”