7/1/15 Dualsporting the High Lakes

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

7/1/15 Dualsporting the High Lakes

Postby Tawmass » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:36 am

Went out again with my old friend Tiny, plus another old riding bud, John, who I haven't seen in a few decades. We decided to brave the triple digits of the Valley and get up to the higher elevations for some recon riding. We unloaded near Fish Lake and headed north, our eventual goal being Prospect area.

We took off on as obscure of routes as possible and at the first windfall, I realized my battery was toast. WTF, and why so sudden? On the day prior I had installed some bar risers, but that shouldn't have affected that. Oh well, it was time to park on a hill for bumpstarting for the rest of the day. We found some REALLY sweet backroads (per the video below), campgrounds, history and vistas. Part of what we rode was on the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route and we even saw two adventure bikes enjoying the route.

At one point we made an assault to the top of Rustler's Peak where the lookout tower was. We could see it clearly we were so close! Alas, we never did find a clean way to the top from the north side. Apparently the only route is from the south according to Tiny's maps - dang, another time!

We finally gave up on that and pointed the horses towards the barn, as the temps were high and so were our thirsts, so we made a quick pit stop at Fish Lake for some barley pops. At the end of the day, we had done almost 90 dusty miles of fun. Still so much more to investigate!
-Tom

<<<Best watched in HD mode if possible
ImageImage
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Dualsporting In General”