8/19/15 Dualsporting To Pelican Butte

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

8/19/15 Dualsporting To Pelican Butte

Postby Tawmass » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:04 am

The day started out brutally bad as I tried to start up my Kawazuki, but nothing in the battery. Tried it on the Battery Tender, but still nothing. Then figured I'd try using jumper cables, but the cables appear to have an open - argh. Okay, will try the spare bike, but the battery was dead in it too! :x I decided to call up Tiny and tell him I was out and he suggested I fire up my KTM and show up. I had a couple things that still needed fixed on it after the recent Rat Dog Ride, but fired it up anyway.

I railed it down the highway to Tiny's and loaded up. Hell's fire, he was planning on hauling everyone! Our plans were to explore around Pelican Butte, just west of Klamath Lake. Tiny and I headed to a restaurant in Ashland, where we met up with Arnold, Dave and Mike. After a dip into the feedbag, we loaded up and soon were on Dead Indian Road heading east.

We unloaded near Lake of the Woods and decided to do Pelican Butte first, since it was quite the rocky road. I hadn't been to the top since college in the 80s, so deja vu for me. We headed out, but wow, was it dusty! We made our way to the NW side of Pelican Butte, where Tiny had me go first to the top (per the video below). He was right, very rocky, but worth it once at the top!

We explored around at the top, taking all the appropriate photos. We noticed Dave's chain was loose, so tightened that. Oh, and Mike's BMW was overheating and it appeared his fan had quit working. Wow, due to the recent fires, it was so smokey that we almost couldn't see Klamath Lake!

We then headed down via random roads to Rocky Point for some barley pops. The ride down was really great and the beer was cold.

We then took a slightly different route back, which was a really great find. We then took one more remote road back to the truck, which produced tons of grins. Yet another great day of riding in Southern Oregon!
-Tom

<---best watched in full-screen, HD mode
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Dualsporting In General”