Black Dog getting squeezed out of Mt. Hood National Forest?

Discuss the Black Dog Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Black Dog getting squeezed out of Mt. Hood National Forest?

Postby Tawmass » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:58 am

After my meeting with USFS over the weekend, it is clear that they are putting the squeeze on the event. The following are key points:

* Assume that they read these messages (I hope so)
* They claim that last year's course went off the map that was submitted to them. They showed me pictures, of which I did not recognize.
* I did not hear about this issue from last year until a couple weeks ago.
* I don't remember such a section. I'm wondering if some people got lost or rode trails that weren't on the rollchart? I will need to check last year's rollchart.
* They are saying 'NO TRAILS' this year, period. Only signed, 2-track/gravel roads.
* They eluded that it won't get any better in the future.
* They have instituted a "Closed unless posted Open" policy.
* There is also the fire danger issue. It's already very dry up there.

With that, it appears that the enviro extremists are getting their way, plus being so close to a major metro, left-wing area is influencing their decision.

Stay tuned,
-Tom
Last edited by Tawmass on Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

TumbleweedKTM
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby TumbleweedKTM » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:16 pm

Tom, is there someone we can write to or call to voice our opinion? It never hurts to flood their mailbox just like the nature nazis do. E-mails at this point might be better than snail mail, even though that seems to be what has the most impact.
If so please post.
Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan Taylor
KTM 520 EXC

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Postby RedMenace » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:55 pm

Did the pictures they showed you depict entrants? were their #s visible?
Vernon Wade(The Red Menace)
Sidecar and Trike instruction
adventuresidecar.com

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:12 pm

Nope, nothing but trail. Appears to me they're trying to make reasons to not have the event in the future. As I said, I really can't do anything until I confirm with the rollchart.

Also, I'm in the process of scheduling a meeting with the big man of Mt. Hood NF - Gary Larsen. He's the head guy. Have plenty of Q's for him along with asking about the proposed OHV Program on Hood that never happened.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

newmanr19
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby newmanr19 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:04 pm

dang; and I was going to ride AA this time

not.. :D

sure hope they can be presuaded to let us ride the trails tho

let us know if there's anything we can do to help out!

dualsport650
pulling in the clutch
pulling in the clutch

Postby dualsport650 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:27 pm

This is bad news.

:(

Let us know if you need any help Tom.
2001 Honda XR650R Dual-Sport
Bend, OR

Dive
WFO
WFO

Postby Dive » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:24 pm

Along the same lines as what Vernon asked.

If all they are showing is a trail with tire tracks, then who's to say who did it ? ... or when for that matter ... or what forest the trail was in even.

Blamming your event for every bike that enters the Mt Hood National forest is a far stretch.

Funny how they waited so long to bring this to your attention.

And to be honest, so what if a rider or two went off course. We have all been a little lost at one time or another while following a roll chart. As soon as we realize our mistakes we back track so we can get back on course. I'm sure the damage to the forest in these instancies is minimal if any at all.

This for sure sounds like you are getting the run around, while they attempt to tie your hands with some red tape.

As with the others. let me know what I can do to help.

Dave

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:52 am

At this point, I will probably have a pointed letter writing opportunity at one of the finish checkpoints of the ride. It will be nice to walk into the ranger's office with a stack of letters from tax-paying enthusiasts whose recreational needs are not being considered or met.
-Tom

dualsport650
pulling in the clutch
pulling in the clutch

Postby dualsport650 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:05 am

Well, I'll certainly write a letter.

I'll even write one right now if it would help.

They need to let us ride the single track. The previous Black Dog Dual Sport rides that had single track were a blast, and the scenery and views were amazing.

Maybe a letter asking for single track Tom? It's only one weekend out of the whole year. I'm sure the USFS needs some trail work done, and I'm sure a few of us would donate some time to help... in return for single track. :wink:

Bend, OR

Dive
WFO
WFO

Postby Dive » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:32 am

Tom,

You've probably already thought of this, but just in case you haven't.
There's also the economical factor to take into account. I'm sure there are some places that look forward to the thousands of dollars spent in the area due to your event. From Mt Hood Meadows to the local hotels. Gas staions, restarunts, bars and so on.

This is just guess work, but let's say you have 150 riders going to a small cafe for lunch, and your paying the owners of the cafe $6 a rider to provide a lunch, then equals a fair chunk of change to a place that probably wouldn't make that many sandwiches in a month.

I'd bet if you approached some of the local business they would give you and your event the thumbs up and want to see the continuation of it.

This could be one more thing to consider when approaching those that want us off the trails.

Just thinking out loud.

Dave
Salem.

TumbleweedKTM
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby TumbleweedKTM » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:31 pm

Tom, I've found it better to flood their mailbox with individual letters rather than one stack of them. We have done that to the BLM in Medford. Believe me it was worth all the postage as it really got their attention. They count letters and a petition only counts as one. That is the tactic the Sierra Club uses and they are very good at it as you can tell.

Ryan
Ryan Taylor

KTM 520 EXC

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Letters to Mt. Hood Forest Supervisor

Postby Tawmass » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:13 am

The more I thought about it, the more I was convinced that this can do nothing but help, so here's the address to the Mt. Hood Forest Supervisor:

Mr. Gary Larsen
Forest Supervisor
Mt. Hood National Forest
16400 Champion Way
Sandy, OR 97055-2799
Telephone
Voice: (503) 668-1700 TTY: (503) 668-1431 FAX: (503) 668-1794

CLICK HERE FOR THEIR WEBSITE

If you feel compelled to get involved (hope so) to write a letter [sorry, can't find his email yet] to Mr. Larsen about Mt. Hood National Forest (NF) not allowing the use of street-legal, muffled vehicles on anything other than designated, freeway-style gravel/dirt roads, please make talking points of the following:

* Dualsporting is a family-oriented, publicly acceptable sport.
* If any of you are disabled, this may be your only way to get to "the great outdoors".
* You are a taxpayer that is not getting your forest experience needs met.
* The amount of time and money that you spend locally to enjoy your chosen mode of forest recreation (dualsport).
* If you are like me, this is how you feel closer to a higher power, by being out in the forest. I call it "The Church Of The Great Outdoors".
* They have instituted a "Closed unless posted Open" policy for the event (I am not sure if this is legal).
* What happened to their proposed forest-wide OHV program?
* McCubbin's Gulch is the only OHV area, which is too small of an area. Dispersed recreation is the best option.

Be polite, be pointed and remember to leave your contact information. As I always do, I plan on having a letter writing opportunity at the event. I will then plop the letters into their main office. I have also requested a face-to-face with Mr. Larsen for end of next week, so here's hoping I get it.

Also remember that Senator Ron Wyden's big push to add a HUGE chunk of area to the wilderness designation in the forest may also be affecting this.
CLICK HERE to read about it

CLICK HERE for the Wilderness Society's take

HERE'S THE REALITY CLICKER: CLICK HERE to see the Oregon Wild Campaign - be SURE and select 'The Map' That's right, the wilderness areas will approximately double! I love wilderness too, but you will no longer have access to many common areas, other than by foot.

I hope you take the time to get involved and write something to your senators too about not wanting this added designation. Wyden will not be receptive, and Smith hopefully will be. It is probably best to FAX letters to Wyden, Smith et al since email is deleteable and US mail can take months.

Wyden, Ron - (D - OR)
516 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-5244
Wyden FAX 202 228 2717
http://wyden.senate.gov/contact/

Smith, Gordon - (R - OR)
404 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-3753
Smith FAX 202 228 3997
Web Form: http://gsmith.senate.gov/webform.htm

So I hope you do write something. It's about time responsible motorized recreation got some positive attention!
-Tom
Last edited by Tawmass on Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

newmanr19
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby newmanr19 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:46 am

I'm working on sending my letter now. Should we post this on the DSR lists on Yahoo? - don't think a lot of them read this message board (yet ;-))

dualsport650
pulling in the clutch
pulling in the clutch

Postby dualsport650 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:13 am

Hi Tom,

I'm sending my letter today.

I posted an "Action Alert" about this on http://www.thumpertalk.com, but I'm not getting any help with writing letters.

Typical. This is why he always lose. Nobody stands up for their right to access to PUBLIC (for the people) land! We need to preserve our natural resources FOR the public instead of FROM the public.

Bend, OR

pressly400
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

mount hood restrictions

Postby pressly400 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:34 pm

Hello All,

I have also posted a letter to Mr. Larsen today, and sent a copy to Tom.

Do not know what else we could do with such short notice, but it would be a pity to lose the right to travel freely on our national forest lands.

FWIW, the forest service uses digital cameras to document trail work and areas of damage. Perhaps you could request to see the time/date stamp of the incriminating photos?

Best luck with your meeting this week, Tom!
you are burning daylight, go faster!

Return to “Black Dog 2-Day Dualsport/Adventure Ride”