Discuss the Black Dog Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Snow report, Eastside Hood River

Postby RedMenace » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:48 am

Huskey Road March 7,2008 3pm

Tried to take the scenic route home from work. Didn't have the GPS or altimeter with me but I'd gues I started hitting sheets of ice across the road at around 1500-2000' This stuff was hard to drive over-some of it was rutted,polished ice and very slick, some was crunch with fairly good purchase and some was soft slush the front wheel would plunge through. The ice formed curbs across the road sometimes standing 8" proud of the surface.

I finally came to a long uphill section covered with much deeper ice and slush. A large 4wd drive had gotten stuck and turned around here, leaving confused, frozen ruts that would tend to push the rig into the ditch. I stopped to take stock of the situation. I knew I had to climb some more before I topped the ridge and the next section would be shaded and steeper. I was ruining my dress boots. No one knew I was out here. My wife wouldn't get home til late that night. I had no desire to hike out in wet cowboy boots. Sometimes you just need to turn around...

http://www.vimeo.com/764194
Vernon Wade(The Red Menace)
Sidecar and Trike instruction
adventuresidecar.com

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:37 am

Wow, it's crazy how much logging has been happening up there. Looks like fun, Vern!
-Tom
PS: where was Canned Heat?
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Postby RedMenace » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:04 am

Tawmass wrote:Wow, it's crazy how much logging has been happening up there. Looks like fun, Vern!
-Tom
PS: where was Canned Heat?

the album is Hooker n Heat they played together

adventuresidecar.com

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Update, Fir Mt Road, Eastside Hood River

Postby RedMenace » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:19 am

Still slabs of frozen snow where the trees shade the ground from direct sun. Nothing where the trees kept the snow from the ground or in the direct sun. was up to about 2200' I'd guess. Couldn't complete the loop from FirMt to Neal Creek and would expect snow covers the road at the very top of the ridge and in the recesses of Neal Creek Canyon, but things are melting off fast

http://vimeo.com/854962

adventuresidecar.com

Return to “Black Dog 2-Day Dualsport/Adventure Ride”