2008-5-4 Black Dog Recon Ride Report

Discuss the Black Dog Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

2008-5-4 Black Dog Recon Ride Report

Postby Tawmass » Wed May 07, 2008 6:32 am

I headed over to Hood River to help my bud, Rick, with his computer and show him how to edit his website. I think he's good to go, so go give it a look see if you like at: www.cgora.com

Then I figured I'd head up on the East side of the Hood River Valley to see what the snow levels looked like, plus plot out where we will have the KTM big rig for demos during the event. I stopped by my sidecar afficionado, Vernon Wade's place. He convinced me that we needed to do a snow-level check on his sidecar and to grab my hat and jacket. He didn't have to ask me twice, and we were off!

This is pretty much what it looks like from a monkey's point of view - things come up pretty fast and you need to be on your toes, but it's a bloody blast! Oh, that rod contraption in front of the sidecar is Vern's backward helmet cam. He recorded some funny video, so I hope he can post it! :D

Soon enough, we came to snow, and this was the start of the real challenges. It took two tries, but Vernon was through this first snow patch in no time.

Then the patches got deeper and longer. We then had to jump on the snow and pack it down, so it didn't high center the rig - Vernon demonstrates proper snow-packing form. We then hit an array of mud puddles where I ended up heavily drenched like a drowned rat!

Soon enough we had to do an about face and come in from another angle to get to the summit. We made it up much further (above 2900') and again hit too much snow, right where a couple local guys on dualsports were also taking a break, so we introduced ourselves and commenced to do the same. That's when Vernon "Red Menace" asked if I wanted a beer. Duh. So he reached into his bag o' tricks in the back of the car and pulled out a cold, "Red Menace" beer for me - sweet! I wish I had a beer in my namesake!

We then bid farewell to our newfound friends Pedro and Robin and made our way back to Vernon's. I hope Vern posts his video evidence of the ride. 8) Thanks for another fun time, Vern.
-Tom
(all pictures are HERE)
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Postby RedMenace » Thu May 08, 2008 9:42 am

I still haven't had time to edit the video. My photos are up here, along with a short vid of Tawm doing his "happy dance"

http://AdventureSidecar.smugmug.com/gal ... kXP3i-A-LB

http://AdventureSidecar.smugmug.com/gal ... 2JFgr-A-LB

<object><param><param><param><param><embed></embed></object>

http://adventuresidecar.smugmug.com/gallery/4801776_JTbE6#291859628_Y8Kox

Vernon Wade(The Red Menace)
Sidecar and Trike instruction
adventuresidecar.com

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu May 08, 2008 2:17 pm

Har! Look how dirty my pants got!

Vern: sorry, can't embed vids, have to just post a link.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Sun May 11, 2008 5:54 am

Hey Vern, got that video ready yet? :D

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Postby RedMenace » Tue May 13, 2008 8:04 am

Tawmass wrote:Hey Vern, got that video ready yet? :D

Started editing the vid last night. Got it all done but for the soundtrack.I did my best to try and make us look like heros with the editing but I noticed a lot of the time you don't seem to know what to do with your hands. I am not sure what I can do with that footage....(film at eleven :twisted: )

adventuresidecar.com

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Tue May 13, 2008 10:21 am

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Postby RedMenace » Tue May 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Last edited by RedMenace on Wed May 14, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adventuresidecar.com

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Tue May 13, 2008 11:37 pm

I feel so used! :o

Great vid Vernon! Nice tunes too. About that typo of your website at the end though? :wink:
-Tawm

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Postby RedMenace » Wed May 14, 2008 9:30 am

Dammit! Now I have to do the stoopid thing over! Tried to load it to vimeo.com and it choked, so maybe I will try again there first.

adventuresidecar.com

bozola
in first gear
in first gear

Postby bozola » Wed May 14, 2008 9:45 am

Nice "rooster-tail" in the snow.

I'm trying to decide if I'll be needing my chainsaw; the area that we'll be riding through doesn't have a history of alien abductions, open portals to Hell, inbred banjo players, cannibals, rogue genetic engineering labs, or guys named "Ash"?
The views expressed are the febrile product of an overactive imagination of a person who in shadows sees the gyrating Elvis-like ghost of Leonid Brezhnev.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Wed May 14, 2008 10:33 am

No, but out in the sticks, all the radio stations only play the tune from "Deliverance". :wink:

Return to “Black Dog 2-Day Dualsport/Adventure Ride”