Washington ORV tag needed on street legal?

Discuss the Black Dog Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

idc22
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Washington ORV tag needed on street legal?

Postby idc22 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:31 pm

I have a KTM 990 R, not clear if I need to get some special ORV tag to use it in this event? Conflicting searches on Internet. Seems ORV tags are primarily for off-road bikes, not full street-legal bikes like this or BMW R1200gs? I don't want to arrive on the day of this event and not be able to ride!

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Washington ORV tag needed on street legal?

Postby Tawmass » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:42 pm

If you get pulled over, you will need to show what is required to ride off road in WA State. If you do not need a tag to ride off road in WA, then you are good since Oregon has reciprocity. If you need one up there, then you should have it.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

retrolady
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby retrolady » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:36 pm

I just read on Skagit Power Sports located in Burlington, Wa web page that if your bike is street legal you do not need an ORV tag.

If you are using Wa state parks to ride in then you need to display a Discover Pass and if you get stopped it is a 99 dollar fine.

I hope I understand this right and if we are riding through the Gifford Pinchot Forest then would we need a Discover pass? That is if the GP forest is national or state. We need to find out if we are riding through state run forests then we do need the Discover pass.
Can someone clarify that for us Washingtonians.

Thanks

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:38 pm

IF we can route through WA, then it will only be the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. No State forests in the area till you get to Camas and that's too far away.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

retrolady
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby retrolady » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:31 pm

This is soundling like we do not need a Discover Pass for the Black Dog. Our bikes are street legal so we are good to go.
Thanks
Judy

Return to “Black Dog 2-Day Dualsport/Adventure Ride”