The Black Dog AMA National Dualsport & ADV Ride 6/14-15/14

Discuss the Black Dog Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Black Dog AMA National Dualsport & ADV Ride 6/14-15/14

Postby Tawmass » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:09 pm

The Black Dog AMA National Dualsport & Adventure Ride is rapidly approaching! CLICK HERE to head over to the Black Dog site for all the info! We have some excellent routes planned for this year whether you're an A-level rider, casual dualsporter, or on an adventure bike or sidecar.

Hope to see you all there!
-Tom

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

tdewitt
in second gear
in second gear

Re: The Black Dog AMA National Dualsport & ADV Ride 6/14-15/

Postby tdewitt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:30 am

Do I need an OHV sticker to ride the Adventure Bike course?
01 DRZ 400e plated
05 DL 1000 V-STROM

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:16 am

tdewitt wrote:Do I need an OHV sticker to ride the Adventure Bike course?

Terry: if you ride off road on public lands in Oregon, you are supposed to have a tag. Your call. :)
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

tdewitt
in second gear
in second gear

Postby tdewitt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:57 am

Tawmass wrote:
tdewitt wrote:Do I need an OHV sticker to ride the Adventure Bike course?

Terry: if you ride off road on public lands in Oregon, you are supposed to have a tag. Your call. :)

I knew that, so your saying I will be taking my DL1000 on trails!!!!Yee Haw
I'll go pick up a sticker this afternoon.
01 DRZ 400e plated
05 DL 1000 V-STROM

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:01 am

tdewitt wrote:I knew that, so your saying I will be taking my DL1000 on trails!!!!Yee Haw

Nope, am saying that when off pavement, you are supposed to have a tag - that includes dirt roads. :)

bin rydin
WFO
WFO

Ride Prep 101

Postby bin rydin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:54 am

Preparing for the Black Dawg
Last Saturday I thought I had better change the oil in the bike after doing the 350 mile Sheetiron Ride three weeks ago. To bad it was not just oil that came out, nope a whole bunch of nice shiny silver came out with the oil. Remember that “funny noise” in my engine at last years Fort Rock? Something like a John Deere Corn Chopper? Well a couple of thousand more miles after that…. Hey it was still starting right up and running like a scalder pig. So I put in new oil new filter , ran it 5 minutes, dumped the “oil” = more silver particles.
NOW WHAT ??? Oh Yeah, hee hee, there is that brand new 2002 XR 250 Virgin bike paleing away hiding in the corner of the garage, trying not to be noticed. My eye drifts towards her, her handlebars shudder and turn toward the wall. Her Tires sag, footpegs droop, Pleas she begs, not ME. My tools are laid out on the (clean) floor “This won’t hurt a bit” I murmur. First, off with the old 80K mile XR engine, Done a dark Thirty Saturday night. Then off with the new XR engine. Then New engine into old frame. Actually it did hurt a little, I am missing some skin on my fingers. By 8 PM Sunday night I had the new engine all torqued in place and discovered that my battery was missing, it is somewhere between Fort Bragg & Stoneyford. Rather than go look for it, I am wiring 4 phone batteries together tonight. Tonight we will see if she starts. Otherwise I will be riding a TRL Honda Reflex which last time I rode it, pitched me off so many times without even a warning, so maybe I will bring my tricycle…

While doing the swap I looked in the new bikes airbox, it was full of mouse poison pellets, go figure how the mouse got under the tank and seat to put them there? But hey I found the same pellets in the fingertips of my riding gloves, between the liner and the outer… Another Black Dawg adventure awaits.

Oh yeah, I just got the new RED 2016 ATV sticker.

bin rydin
WFO
WFO

Postby bin rydin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:12 am

Weather forecast says you will be "watering the track" sometime this afternoon through tomorrow and then stopping right before the ride. Make sure you fill up a few puddles on the blind corners. I got the engine swap done and now have a new gutless stock 249 cc mill in the old gal. I miss the extra few cc's and hot cam, but don't miss the mechanical noise.I have this bike with a mixture of brand new and anchient parts, like a shiney engine with a dull magnito side cover, but the parts seem to be getting along with eachother.
With luck I will get there @ dark thirty tonight.

bin rydin
WFO
WFO

Postby bin rydin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks Tawm & Donna & everyone that made this possible. I had a great time. You did a great job on watering the dust down on the southwest side and blowing the dust away on the northeast side. And what about those Giraffes & Camels, not something you expect on a dualsport (unless you get a real bell ringer of a crash anyway, or some of those pink elephants around 2 AM). Thanks Vernon for the great night monkey ride, that was a real thrill. Thanks to Walter & Curtis for the wonderful shirts. It was actually snowing as I went home Monday morning on highway 35 over the pass. Full on downpour from there into Zig Zag, Escatata, Salem, Eugene, complete with dark thundercaps and some hail. Timing for the ride could not have bin better.
Sometime you aught to have an "Almost Award", you know almost the furthest traveled, almost the oldest rider, almost the oldest bike (certainly the most miles), almost the hardest luck (just an bike engine change and roadside motorhome alternator replacement and broken speedo/odo cable), Plus I almost fell over a couple of times...

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:10 pm

We posted all the event photos and to check them out, simply CLICK HERE!

We followed it up with a short video too - check it out!
-Tom

<<<it's way better in full-screen, HD mode!

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:10 pm

Wow, check out this great video sent to us by Paullie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTJYobz9 ... video_user

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:33 am

Vernon "Red Menace" Wade posted a great ride report up on the ADV Forum. Click the picture below to check it out!
-Tom

bin rydin
WFO
WFO

Postby bin rydin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:20 pm

Thanks Vernon (for your much lowered standards in allowing me to be your night monkey) and all the great pictures, Andy & Amy's as well. My dentist yesterday was saying that she wanted to get a zebra, and so I just called her with the Farms name on Highway 14. My dad died yesterday, almost 94 years old. he was still chasing the "girls" at the home last week. so off I go to Ohio to put him to rest. glad I got to go to the Black Dog & Fort Rock first. Got some bad gas at Gordies truck Stop in La Pine and limped back to camp at 1/4 throttle. anything over 1/4 was instant engine starvation, kickstarted 60 some times until I figured it out, 1/4 throttle and row the gearbox to make the hills. There were no camels on the Fort Rock Ride but I did run into a campground full of Hams, Ham Radio Hams that is. They were having a China Hat Campout Contact Contest, see how many contacts they could make in 24 hours for points. I just got my ham licence a month ago so it was good hanging out with them for awhile. Then on the the great trail # 90.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:26 pm

bin rydin wrote: My dad died yesterday, almost 94 years old. he was still chasing the "girls" at the home last week. so off I go to Ohio to put him to rest.

Very sorry to hear Lee. He lived a long life. My sympathies.
-Tom

Return to “Black Dog 2-Day Dualsport/Adventure Ride”