2008-10-5 Rat Dog Recon Ride

Discuss the Rat Dog Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

2008-10-5 Rat Dog Recon Ride

Postby Tawmass » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:42 pm

Dave Klug, Walt Koch, Dan Hatcher and I all met up at a local cafe in Washougal for breakfast. We were originally going to do this exploratory ride on Saturday, but the weather guessers said Sunday would be better and only 30% chance of rain, as opposed to Saturday's 80%. Leaving Washougal, the rain started in - and basically never quit all day. Evidently 100% of the 30% stayed directly above us!

Man, we sure hit some wet pockets! We also encountered one dead-end road, where we had to do a reroute, which sucked up a large amount of time, but the newer route was totally worth it. As expected, there were a few hunters (powder season) out, a couple of which took their lane out of the middle of the road. It rained so hard, my camera got wet and wasn't focusing properly. Wow, did we all freeze our pinkies off at the top of one 4,000' pass! We thankfully descended from from there and warmed back up. We found a nice bar in Yacolt that had soup and spanish coffees - yes! Once we got back, it was time for more drinks and there was a few of us that drank just a bit too much, but slept good that night.

The event route is way cool, but there are concerns such as:

* The date happens to be the opening day of rifle hunting season in Washington - not good at all.
* The extended-weather forecast for the event isn't looking too promising.
* Since I was on my sabbatical (Europe), there wasn't much time to work on the event.

With that, we're tempted to cancel the event. We'll bottom out on that decision tonight.
-Tom

The Fall colors were in full display, even though it was a dark, dank day!
Emerging from the bush in unison.
ImageImageImage
Hey Danno, whaddaya doing over there?
As Walt demonstrates, some of the mudholes were DEEP!
Inside Dave's Pub in Yacolt - warm soup and spanish coffees!
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

E-Ticket
WFO
WFO

Postby E-Ticket » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:56 am

Well.... I recognize two of those Katooms...! :lol:

Not to rub it in - but the couch was nice and dry on Sunday.

Cheers! - ET
"AYHIN"

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F ("Wee Beasty"); '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
(AMA Member)
Wife: '22 Kawasaki KLX 140R F; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i (AMA Member)

Return to “Rat Dog 2-Day Dualsport-Adventure Ride”