2010 Rat Dog: A & AA Trail Options

Discuss the Rat Dog Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

2010 Rat Dog: A & AA Trail Options

Postby Tawmass » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:21 pm

Wow, went out today and laid out the A sections. Am guessing I have almost 30 miles of mostly single track - yes! This ought to keep you A riders honest and grinning! :ride :thumbright:

I am wondering if there will be any riders that want to run an AA section or two. Kind of futile to lay it out and nobody enjoys it. Post up if you would like some AA stuff!

Had some funny things happen today - will post evidence pics soon!
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:29 am

A few pix of some of the A trails!

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:12 am

Iron Man Lives!
Saturday's Rat Dog Recon Ride started early as I stapled up posters in the staging area to alert others that there would be a sizeable crowd on the Rat Dog Weekend. It was going to be hot on this day too. Along for the day's ride was Scott "Scoot" Wilson, Kerry [no nickname - yet, but the day was young!] Owens and Doug "Dugly" White. This was my first time riding with Kerry, but I'd heard he was a great rider, and he had a new rear tire on, so he was set.

I'm not at liberty to say where we rode, but we hit A trails immediately and they were excellent, as noted in the pix above. This is where the story gets good. In fact, CLICK HERE to listen to appropriate background music for this story!

NOTE: Since there were a few of us at Kerry's 50th Birthday Party a few weeks prior (my pix here: http://tawm.smugmug.com/Other/71710-Ker ... 4743_Ew2nc ) who got to enjoy a questionable rendition of the classic Black Sabbath song, "Iron Man", rebadged, "I Am Santa Claus", who could have known that this day's ride would have awarded the Birthday Boy with that song title as his newly deserved nickname forever? Let's just say that Iron Man absolutely earned his new nickname! You can ask Kerry to explain the Santa pic below...

We headed down one gravel road for a few miles. I was up ahead, waiting at an intersection, when Scott rode up and said that Kerry had a flat and was back up the road a number of miles, so we turned around and headed back.

Upon getting back to Kerry, both he and Doug had Kerry's KTM up on a stump and about ready to remove the rear tire.

As Doug was ensuring Kerry's bike didn't fall off the stump and down the ledge to the creek, he commented, "What's that thump in your back tire?"

I commented, "Hey, that reminds me about my friend from SoCal, Jim "Iron Man" Pilon. He had to change his tire out on the trail one time and ended up with a flat shortly thereafter due to him leaving one of his tire irons INSIDE the tire!" We all laughed.

Then Kerry commented, "You know, I started off using three tire irons last night, but couldn't find the third one."

Wow, was it hot out too, just lookit Kerry's bald head! Sure enough, when he yanked out the tube, there was his missing tire iron INSIDE the tire! Too dang funny! We had to patch BOTH the tube and the tire, since even the gash in the tire was about an inch long! With that Kerry is now officially dubbed Iron Man!

And here's Kerry with his new nicknamesake! Plus, here's Scott practicing his ballet dancing.

After that comedic filler, we were off again. Later on we were exploring some new trail, when Scott's mighty 380 stopped running. He was complaining about getting a stick lodged into his carburetor. Upon closer inspection, the stick knocked the carb OFF of the reed-valve inlet port, plus got wedged into his airbox. That was some stick! I have no clue what Doug and Scott are doing in the pix.

After that it was a hot, uneventful, fun day. I take that back, Scott's bike started running really lean and Doug had to tow him back to the truck while Kerry and I finished up the A course routing.

Oh yeah, on the way home, Doug and I stopped at Lee's Camp Store and had a great visit with the owner, Clint! And thanks for the drinks Doug!
-Tom

Return to “Rat Dog 2-Day Dualsport-Adventure Ride”