Heated grip installation on Yamahas

Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts (and there are plenty of you!). Having a problem with your bike? Ask away.

Moderator: Tawmass

RIDER
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Heated grip installation on Yamahas

Postby RIDER » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:16 pm

Hey, I put heated grips on my 2008 Yamaha WR250R, and on my 1st ride, the "lubricant" between the throttle tube and the handlebar turned to GLUE. This bike was bought new, by me, and had never had the grips off, prior to the heated grip installation. All I had to do was pull the throttle tube off the bars and clean both tube and bar with contact cleaner. That being said, If youve never had heated grips, you are missing a wonderful thing. Try them. PS: I used no lube whatsoever upon re-installation and havnt had a prob since. RIDER
You can take the man out of the race, but you cant take the race out of the man. Dual sport tires suck!

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:24 am

Heated grips rock, for sure! The stock lithium grease that was installed probably turned to munge when it got warm. You should use something thin like Tri-Flo or similar as a lubricant. You really should have something to help it roll.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Technical”