DVD: Portland to Tierra del Fuego, Argentina

Big bikes, big adventures, big fun!

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

DVD: Portland to Tierra del Fuego, Argentina

Postby Tawmass » Sun May 13, 2007 11:51 am

I came across Gerald's website and ordered the DVD. Will report back how it is, once finished watching. The reviews on his website are pretty darned good and I just love how he started off. :) Check out his short on-line video at his website.

Gerald's website: www.motorcycletrips.net

His Craig's List ad:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/326720129.html

-Tom

DVD Portland to Tierra del Fuego, Argentina - $24

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-326720129@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-05-08, 8:01AM PDT

Solo, riding a BMW styled Russian built Ural motorcycle/sidecar named Burro, I take the viewer for a ride in the sidecar while traveling through Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile & Argentina. The film conveys the distance traveled, almost 1/3 of the away around the world. Burro Has Three Wheels© is a multi-episode, 3 hour, 2 DVD (reality style) travel documentary filmed from Portland OR, to "The End of the World" Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina, along the Pan-American Highway, with an extra section, "Mexico".
My wife and I were inspired after watching Long Way Round (not A Long Way Around) and Motorcycle Diaries. Having never ridden a motorcycle more than 150 miles from home, I set out from Portland Oregon to Mexico on February 6, 2006. Realizing how much fun I was having, I decided to just keep going, all the way to the end of the road, Fin Del Mundo, Argentina.
I thought about purchasing a KTM, BMW or Kawasaki KLR 650 for the trip, but since I already had the Ural, I figured, why not just take it.
All along the way, people kept calling me the North American Che.
With no sponsorship and after nearly four months on the road, I returned home and began editing what maybe the first video documentary detailing the route along the Pan-American Highway.
The finished products includes all countries I traveled through. The DVD's include my commentary and incorporates great music from artists such as Lightnin' Hopkins, Isaac Hayes, Lloyd Jones, Robbie Laws, Red Garland, Terry Robb, Pancho Sanchez, DK Stewart, Mark Dufresne, Jim Mesi and Benny Velarde.
I would certainly appreciate it if you would let individuals you think might be interested in this type of motorcycle trek know about my website address. Movie preview is available at motorcycletrips.net
Rent for $10.95 plus $14.00 deposit (credit card only) or Purchase for $24.95 I accept Visa, Master Card, Discover Card, PayPal, checks or money orders ok for purchase but credit card require for rental. Call: 503-957-2714
Gerald Smith
P.O. Box 3220
Oregon City, OR 97045

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Sun May 20, 2007 8:03 am

I called up Gary's phone number and ordered the DVDs. He's a very likeable guy and was happy to chat about his trip and experiences. I received the two DVDs promptly a couple days later and my girlfriend and I sat down and started watching. We figured we'd 'maybe' get through part of one DVD in an evening before nodding off. We ended up watching both DVDs in one sitting, so needless to say, we really enjoyed them! There's just something interesting that piques my wanderlust about saying, "I'm going out for a ride and don't know when I'll be back, Honey!" and not turning around till Tierra del Fuego!

My only squirm about the DVDs are the cell phone videos, as they are tough to watch and very blurry. On the other hand, clearly Gary had no planning of this trip to go as far as he did, so it was entirely ad hoc. No doubt he was thinking that, "Hey, I'm getting farther and farther from home I may as well record some of it. I do have my cell phone, so I'll try that." And it just progressed. So even the cell phone vids have some charm to them, due to that reason.

There are many good things to enjoy on these DVDs. I'm a HUGE blues fan and it's almost entirely colored with some excellent bluesmen. The little things that happen along the way are choice, like when Gary decides to stay a night in a hotel that, to his surprise, rents by the hour and he has fresh towels and a condom on the bed - very funny! Once he upgraded to a real video cam, the scenery is stellar and it's one daily adventure after another. You can almost feel the heat and the cold as he encounters extreme temperatures along the way. And the locals love the novelty of a sidecar.

On a Tom's Thumb 1~10 scale, I give it a solid nine.
:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Go buy his DVDs and I think you'll enjoy them also.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Adventure Riding”