OBCDR - The Northern Halves Adventure - 7/16~23/11

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

OBCDR - The Northern Halves Adventure - 7/16~23/11

Postby Tawmass » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:52 am

We did the southern Oregon halves adventure in 2009:
http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/forum/ ... .php?t=595

We (Scott Wilson [chase truck], Joe Fuller, Walt Koch, Mike Moore, Randy Beadle and I. Dan Hatcher and his son, Josh, will have a cameo showing Sunday through Tuesday also.) are now doing the northern pieces and here's where we'll be each day:

Sat: Christmas Valley Desert Inn - Christmas Valley (same as 2009)
Sun: Dreamers Lodge - John Day
Mon: Depot Inn - Sumpter
Tue: Antlers Inn - Ukiah
Wed: River Bend Motel - Spray
Thu: The Oregon Hotel - Mitchell
Fri: Sisters Inn and Suites - Sisters
Sat: Finish back in LaPine

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Danno
VIP
VIP

Day 1

Postby Danno » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:28 pm

So Josh and I are finishing up the last few things over here in La Grande. We'll haul bikes to John Day and hook up with Chase Truck Driver "Mr. T Bag Scotty", Tour Guide "Smokin' Joe", GPS Whizz "Tommy Gun", Top Shelf "Tequila Magnet Walter", Dust Magnet "Hampster Mikey", and New to the Crew, but "Black Dogger from Way Back Rand-Eye".

After some Thunder and Lightening storms here in La Grande, I'm thinking that the dust shouldn't be the big issue. We better have good rain gear, so that's our focus!

Tom's text at a little after 8pm sez they made it to Christmas Valley so the first day of riding must be a done deal... Sounds good as I don't think the boys made it out of town til late Friday.

Looking forward to seeing you boys tomorrow night!

Danno and Josh-o
"I usually tighten my nuts better"

bin rydin
WFO
WFO

There in Spirit

Postby bin rydin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:35 am

I am really "hang Dawgin" this ride from an electronic distance.
Man I really wish I was out there with you guys getting wet and sliding around.
I had farm work (custom field fumigator came) Saturday and a couple of meetings this week, so no ride for this bad boy, maybe next time. Still planning to go back to the Prospect area and down to the "Lost Coast" for a few daze campin/rydin before we start digging bulbs mid August. Hoist a few suddzies for bin, you lucky dawgs...

E-Ticket
WFO
WFO

Postby E-Ticket » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Already looks fun. Liked Joe's "Dakar kickstand" .... :D

Have fun, be safe homies! E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F ("Wee Beasty"); '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
(AMA Member)
Wife: '22 Kawasaki KLX 140R F; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i (AMA Member)

E-Ticket
WFO
WFO

Postby E-Ticket » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:01 pm

Looks like they've posted their first video Scott driving the support truck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6KJXeOM0k&feature=youtu.be
"AYHIN"

(AMA Member)

Danno
VIP
VIP

Back home in La Grande!

Postby Danno » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:57 pm

Josh and I made it back to his home after 3 fun filled days of riding with the guys. We did a 60 pavement rip with gear bags hanging off the bikes and that was the only hard part of the ride. The boys laid over an extra day at Ukiah to take advantage of some of the best trails in the northwest, one day after rain. Traction was great and very little dust... It really made it hard to leave!
"I usually tighten my nuts better"

E-Ticket
WFO
WFO

Re: Back home in La Grande!

Postby E-Ticket » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:01 am

Danno wrote:Josh and I made it back to his home after 3 fun filled days of riding with the guys. We did a 60 pavement rip with gear bags hanging off the bikes and that was the only hard part of the ride. The boys laid over an extra day at Ukiah to take advantage of some of the best trails in the northwest, one day after rain. Traction was great and very little dust... It really made it hard to leave!

Glad to hear you had a good time, Danno!
"AYHIN"

(AMA Member)

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:20 pm

We've officially dubbed this trip, "Drinkers With A Dirtbike Problem!"

Our pictures and tracks are here:

http://tawm.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/NW- ... 56_SN473gV

-Tom
Last edited by Tawmass on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

E-Ticket
WFO
WFO

Postby E-Ticket » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:35 pm

Tawmass wrote:We've officially dubbed this trip, "Drinkers With A Dirtbike Problem!)

Well ... color us stunned. NOT. <g>
"AYHIN"

(AMA Member)

Josh-o
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby Josh-o » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Although I'm glad to be back in La Grande, I'd rather continue on with the "Drinkers With A Dirtbike Problem!) on the OBCDR!

Josh-O

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:37 am

Hey Josh, was a blast having you along! Next time leave your Dad at home! :wink:

Now comes the looooong process of going through the pix and videos...
-Tom

E-Ticket
WFO
WFO

Postby E-Ticket » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:59 am

Tawmass wrote:Hey Josh, was a blast having you along! Next time leave your Dad at home! :wink:

Now comes the looooong process of going through the pix and videos...
-Tom

True. But it's still better than sitting at an ER somewhere waiting for a buddy to get the results from his x-rays .... right? :^)
"AYHIN"

(AMA Member)

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:22 am

We did it with no mechanicals or issues! 1150 miles! Five bikes for eight days, seven bikes for three of those! Wow do we have stories, tons of pictures and videos! I'll be working on my write up/pix this week, but the video will take a bit longer.
-Tom

E-Ticket
WFO
WFO

Postby E-Ticket » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Pretty impressive that you guys made the whole loop in that amount of time!
Glad you all made it back just fine. Looking forward to the trip report. - ET
"AYHIN"

(AMA Member)

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBCDR - The Northern Halves Adventure - 7/16~23/11

Postby Tawmass » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Day One 7/16/11
Sheesh, finally getting around to document this hilarious adventure - sorry for the delay!

We all arrived at our most gracious of hosts, Rick & Debi Aldridge's house in LaPine, Oregon on Friday night before we embarked on our trip. As expected we were all wound tight and ready for a week-long vacation of riding! In 2009 we used Rick & Debi's place as a base station too, for our Southern Halves OBCDR Trip. We awoke the next morning and got ourselves prepped along with the chase truck driven by Scott Wilson. We did our obligatory group-grope shots, I drafted up a very rough tracklog of where to go to meet up onto the actual Oregon Back-Country Discovery Route (OBCDR) and we were off!
ImageImage

We only got a few miles south of LaPine in Gilchrist, when we lost Joe already, but he reappeared, we topped off with fuel and were off again. We all were sporting hi-zoot radios (with big antennas) set up so we merely had to push a button on the handlebars to talk to each other. This is truly the ONLY way to do a ride such as this - much safer and faster! We continued southeast and only made one wrong turn going east on a freeway, cinder road, as can be seen on the tracklog. We found some killer canyons and vistas along the way, then we hit the actual OBCDR route and headed east toward Summer Lake. Along the way we headed up to Rodman Peak for a view, but the mosquitos were relentless and we quickly were back on the bikes heading east again.

Eventually we were on an overlook viewing north towards Christmas Valley - BIG country! A few miles later and we were above Summer Lake, which was a deja' vu from our previous OBCDR trip in '09, so we passed around the anti-freeze to celebrate. Notice Mikey's brown nose - he ALWAYS has one when riding! (as you'll see in subsequent photos!) We elected to NOT use the route we took in '09, which was a rocky, rough POS route north. From there it was an easy road ride into Christmas Valley and the hotel where Scott was awaiting us. A quick shower and we were off for an excellent dinner at the bar/restaurant in Fort Rock. Day one's total: 173 miles.
-Tom
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Dualsporting In General”