Big bikes, big adventures, big fun!

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

9/27/17 Northern California 3-Day Tour

Postby Tawmass » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:50 am

Day One, 329 Miles

I met up with Tiny, and brothers Willy and Jerry at the McDonalds in Phoenix. A quick bite and we were off to Ashland and over the Greensprings Highway. I was on my trusty steed (BMW GS1200 Adventure), Tiny was on his Yamaha FJR, Willy on his Honda V-Twin 750 and Jerry on his BMW RT1150.

We then turned off at Keno and headed across the Klamath Marsh to Tulelake, CA. After Willy topping off (he had the smallest tank), we pointed the bikes south toward Adin where I found this roadside attraction.

Coming into Adin, I found these gems:

We then descended into Susanville for the night.
-Tom

https://vimeo.com/236298728 <---- Click here if you are having video streaming issues

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 9/27/17 Northern California 3-Day Tour

Postby Tawmass » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Day Two, 284 Miles

After a stay in Tiny's questionable namesake (Knight's Inn) in Susanville, we headed off south, then turned up Janesville Grade (across from Honey Lake) and went up, up, up! We needed to do a quick stop to stretch out Tiny's back at one point. This road eventually wound us to Antelope Lake, which was stunningly beautiful!

Once we descended back down the other side, we headed through Shingletown and toward Lake Almanor and Mt. Lassen National Park.

We then dropped down into the oven called Redding, and finally left that on a tasty route called Platina Road. Wow, it was nirvana on a motorbike! We eventually dropped to Hwy 36, exited on Wildwood Road and it started getting dark and cold. Fortunately we pulled into our destination of Weaverville right at dusk and picked a much better motel than the night prior. Another great day!
-Tom

https://vimeo.com/236492414 <---- Click here if you are having video streaming issues

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 9/27/17 Northern California 3-Day Tour

Postby Tawmass » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Day Three, 185 Miles: 798 Total Miles

We were up early leaving Weaverville after missing dinner the evening prior due to too many people at the golf-course restaurant. We settled into a local pub for pizza instead. We headed north by Trinity Lake en route to dodging a plethora of Bambis, after topping off our tanks.

We headed toward the summit of Scott Mountain, but took one side road that ran us by Trinity Ranch, where it looked like something was happening. We wound ourselves towards the summit and took a break. It's amazing that they used to go over the rocky top in covered wagons! The Boys then had fun showing each other the finer points of using a flip phone.

From there we descended towards Calahan, then made our way to Yreka and pointed our steeds north towards home. We even hit a bit of rain over the Siskiyous on the way home. All total, I rode three days and 798 miles. Yet more good times.
-Tom

https://vimeo.com/236590072 <---- Click here if you are having video streaming issues

Return to “Adventure Riding”