2010 Black Dog Event Report – Good Dog, Soggy Dog!

Discuss the Black Dog Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

2010 Black Dog Event Report – Good Dog, Soggy Dog!

Postby Tawmass » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:07 pm

This was the 19th year that the Black Dog has been in existence. The Dawg is getting grey whiskers! Like all previous years, I took the week prior to the weekend event to prep and confirm the various courses. Due to unforeseen circumstances this year, I was missing my usual key people, so was left without anyone to assist me in setting up the event. I sent a plea for help, so I wasn’t riding alone and was very surprised to get a huge response from fellow riders. In fact, I had more than I needed! I showed up Saturday, got my camping in order, then headed out Sunday first thing. Throughout the week there were people that kept showing up and assisting. This was incredible knowing I had so many like-minded friends that also loved dualsporting!

Throughout the week we closely watched the weather guessers arrive to their moisture conclusions and it looked like Wednesday was going to be bad. It was. So bad in fact that we all just hung around the campgrounds under the awnings picking lint from our navels and telling tall tales. This shortened our prep time, so we really had to make hay while the sun shined on Thursday. The course looked to be nothing short of awesome and include everything for the newbie rider to the experienced veteran. This was not easy, since we had to keep all routes under 3800 feet due to low snow levels! Then it rained again (though not as bad) on Friday.

Come Saturday morning, the signup commenced and all the excellent help had things so organized that there was never more than about 20 people in line at one time. Nice! Then we had the rider’s meeting and the first of the riders started heading out around 8am.

It was to be a long day at around 160+ miles total. I tried to add another C-course option of 40+ miles in Tygh Valley, but closed gates and earlier rains cancelled that. Due to the previous rains, the A Trail options were removed also, so as not to hog out the course. The course wound it’s way over to Tygh Valley for gas, then to Wamic for lunch, then back. Along the way there was pavement, gravel, dirt, rocky sections, PLENTY of scenery and a huge variety of terrain.

Lunches were provided by Fun Country Power Sports in The Dalles with the help of local club, NOMAC and Craig Stiff. Towards the end of the ride, there was an awesome A option that took the riders over Bald Butte, then down some slippery single track. At the finish everyone took their hand at the Spank-The-Monkey Game that Scott Wilson dreamed up after too many Red Bulls. It was great entertainment!

Saturday night had a short meeting to hand out the Saturday-Only Trophies and a few prizes. Then Coach Ramey Stroud had a well attended training seminar for the riders teaching proper rider positioning and general off-road education. Good stuff!

At about 3am Sunday morning I could hear the rain pelting against the roof of my trailer. Ugh. Once I did finally get up at around 5:30am for coffee, it was a light mist, and the weather forecasts said it would drizzle off and on all day. Hey, whatever doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger, eh? The turnout on Sunday was about half as big, but the riders were hearty. Sunday’s course would be a simple ride up to Trout Lake for lunch and back, with nothing really challenging. Good thing due to the liquid sunshine. However, I had set up 19+ miles of bodacious single track for the A Riders, which turned out to be more than most could handle!

At the end of the day’s ride, there were some wet, tired riders. They certainly got their money’s worth at a 300-mile weekend! I want to be sure to thank all the help and sponsors (in no particular order): Craig Stiff, NOMAC & Fun Country Power Sports for the excellent lunches, Rick Higgins for his awesome trail work, Henry Buckalew of Hood River County, Joy Woodcock of USFS, Claire & Jim of the Fairgrounds, Vernon & Amy Wade of AdventureSidecar.com, Scott & Mary Wilson of Wilson NW, Les Schwab Tire Center of Hood River, Gordon Lawrence, my little brother Rick & Gilbert Morales, Gary Anderson, Gary Ansell, Dale Johnsen, Bill Law, cousins Larry & Mike Lake, Tom Savage, the herd of Juenemann Boys for awesome sweeping, Randy Beadle and his bud Mark for mid sweep, Bill Law, Dave Hooker, Jim & Sharon Loveall, George Flanagan, Bruce & Lornie Jarmie, Walt Koch, Frank Noe, John Hughes, the Kaczka’s, my girlfriend Donna Danies, Gary Lande, Coach Ramey Stroud & Wilma, Bob Reinen of CycleBuy.com, and Beaverton Honda. I hope I didn't forget anyone!

Next year we’re going BIG for the 20th annual! CLICK HERE to view the complete set of pix I took along with others. There are also some great pix and ride reports HERE. And as an added note, I realize I cannot make everyone happy. There's either too much road and too easy, or two much off road and too difficult. We try our very best to please everyone. The inclement weather sort of changed some routes, but that's all part of the adventure! :ride
-Tom

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Tawmass on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Ride
in first gear
in first gear

Postby Ride » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:37 am

My crew had a great time. Sorry about making you guys wait Sunday evening while we took off late, had some issues, lost some guys and rolled back in at 5:10 on Sunday with some people looking upset they might have to send a search party. Anyway here are some of my random pix...

Lunch stop...

Not much from Sunday as the weather was so nice :shock:

Trails looked like this...

But were real fun.

Rafters jumping from a bridge after trout lake...

Done, had a great time. Almost 300 miles without issue on a ATK, who would have thought. In fact both ATK's made it just fine. :lol:

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:52 am

Cool Kelly! Like I said, I wasn't concerned about you, but didn't know who was with you. Glad Team ATK had a good rip!
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

broken580
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Re: 2010 Black Dog Event Report – Good Dog, Soggy Dog!

Postby broken580 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:41 pm

road from High Rock to Estacada. My Tiger had a broken frame that year and I decided not to try to climb the hill on the other side of the tree fall. You can see my rig parked there and me down in the hole checking out the trail...

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2010 Black Dog Event Report – Good Dog, Soggy Dog!

Postby Tawmass » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:46 am

broken580 wrote:road from High Rock to Estacada. My Tiger had a broken frame that year and I decided not to try to climb the hill on the other side of the tree fall. You can see my rig parked there and me down in the hole checking out the trail...

What year was that, since in 2010 we did not go to High Rock?
-Tom

Return to “Black Dog 2-Day Dualsport/Adventure Ride”