10/22/05, Matt's invitational dualsport ride at Bend

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

10/22/05, Matt's invitational dualsport ride at Bend

Postby Tawmass » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:25 pm

My friend, Matt, moved to Bend after buying my beloved XR650 Honda. I'd been reading some of his stories about riding over there since he moved and when he posted an invite for a ride, I jumped at the chance. This was one of the rare weekends where I didn't already have something on my dance ticket. My bud, Frunk, said he could get away too and was as psyched as I was. On the Friday night before the ride, Danno asked if he could go along too. The more the merrier!

Frunk showed up at 5am as planned and we started loading my bike and gear. At about 5:20am, Danno showed up on Hatcher Standard Time and soon we were slurping java and laughing at the comedy channel on Frunk's sattelite radio.

Once we got there, everyone was basically waiting for us in their riding gear, so we hustled our way and soon were off. Since this was a gaggle of riders, on various bikes and riding abilities, I knew this ride would be kind of like herding kittens to Matt and his local friend Greg, but as it turned out, everyone rode great and nobody got lost (for a change). Matt and Greg had laid out two separate routes - one for the bigger bikes and one for the more advanced riders. To the best of my knowledge, the suspects were: Matt H., Greg, F. Gary, H., Forrest, B., Terry, C., Dave, H., Eric, W., Matt, F., Eric, T., Brandt, Frunk, Danno and I.

Our plans were to work our way to Cultus Lake for lunch and gas, continue to Waldo Lake and then return. Eric Timberlake (who I used to race ISDEs with years ago) was funny in that he was the only one who wore earplugs and was talking about 200 decibels all day, which of course we teased him mercilessly. :lol: The first 10 miles was bloody cold in a dirtbike helment, since there was still frost on the ground. After that we hit the dirt roads and things starting to improve immensely. Fortunately there was moisture on many sections of the roads, so dust was at least tolerable. After about 20-30 miles we waited, but a few of the guys didn't make it. Turns out Terry lowsided on the dirt road and he and his big Ducati came to a stop at a boulder, which in turn broke his triple clamp. Now that's a solid whack! I heard he only had a dislocated thumb, but that will be an expensive bail. Heal fast, Terry! After some creative work, a truck was brought for his bike.

After that we hit an absolutely rockin' powerline road that went for miles. This is when the freight train started and we were all railing it - woohoo! This was a blast.

At Cultus Lake, we discovered that the lodge was closed and so was the gas station. DOH! Frunk and Danno were on stock tanks, so things were looking like they might get testy later on. We then zigged our way to another cool road that led us to Waldo Lake, where the water was all shut down from faucets, due to Winter, much to the dismay of some of the riders.

We made our way back by Elk Lake and came to our first trail sections. They were quad trails, but still fun as Eric, Frunk, Danno and I hauled the mail to the top by a snowmobile warming hut. This is where Forrest rode up a lava outcropping and fell over, skinning up his XR600. Dejected, he got back up and rode down the lava piece to make another uphill run at it again, but then went over the bars! OUCH! To his credit, he went back up and down it afterwards, basically getting back on the horse that threw him. :)

After some more trail, we directed ourselves to a powerline section that would take us back to Bend. This was the point when Frunk's Beta sputtered out of petrol and we had to give him a boost of juice. From there it was more powerline to Bend. It was interesting to note that the whoops got bigger the closer we got to civilization.

Thanks Matt Man for the great ride! This was a nice change of the riding we've been doing and we wish we could've stayed around to help you donate to the local community "one dollar at a time"! :wink: As far as Frunk, Danno and my ride home that night, well, that's another story... :occasion5:

-Tom

CLICK HERE to see all my pictures

Also, check out (loud) Eric Timberlake's pictures of our ride by CLICKING HERE :lol:
Last edited by Tawmass on Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Jeepxr600
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby Jeepxr600 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:23 am

Thanks for all the great pics tom, cut me a little slack- I've only been riding in the dirt since July. :lol:

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:58 am

Donno who you are? (you didn't sign your name) And I never cut anyone any slack! :)
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Jeepxr600
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby Jeepxr600 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:03 am

That's weird, my sig didnt show.
Forrest
Forrest
Bend, OR
XR600

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:22 am

Holy smoke, Forrest, only since July? You rode awesome! :thumbright:
-Tom

Jeepxr600
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby Jeepxr600 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:35 am

To be honest with you I rode 25% better than I ever have. I had a blast! It's amazing how fast you learn when you got guys over twice your age trying to kick your ass. :headbang:
Forrest

Bend, OR

XR600

Return to “Dualsporting In General”