WHO'S RIDES A XT225?

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

RON6540
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

WHO'S RIDES A XT225?

Postby RON6540 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:31 am

Hello Riders hope this is the place for this post? i,m a 46 year old adventure Rider, and a freind took me to alaska for a dual-sport ride of a life time. so that being said it was the best time i ever had. and it hooked me to the sport. so i went out and bought a xt 225 and i getting the hang of it. this is a great bike for the sport but it could use a better seat and brakes! me being 200 pounds and 6.1 tall. any idea for upgrades and best tires to uses. :wink:

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:20 am

Ron,
With your size, it seems that the XT225 is kind of small for your stature, however they are an excellent bike. As far as a seat, I highly recommend a Guts Racing brand seat. Do a search in Google for their website, don't know it offhand. Baja Designs sells them I know. I have their seat on both my bikes and it was the best investment I've made. My fanny thanks me.

As far as tires, it depends on what percentage of riding you'll do. If you're primarily offroad, then knobbies are the best. If you're primarily tarmac, then something with less bumps are best. A popular set of tires are the Pirelli MT21's for less offroad riding, and full-blown knobbies are best for offroad (I suggest hard-terrain style).

As far as brakes, you're pretty much stuck with what you have. Hope that helps!
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

GG116
in first gear
in first gear

Postby GG116 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:17 pm

Ron,

I don't know where you live, but there are many options for custom seat work, in case you can't find anything that you like in the aftermarket. My contacts are in the Seattle and Los Angeles areas, if you're close to either. Please let me know if these locations are close to you, and I'll be happy to pass the data along.

Congratulations on your new Yamaha!

Scott

AKDirt
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Alaska tour

Postby AKDirt » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:16 pm

Hey Ron,
I am curious, who did you ride with in Alaska? Was it an organized tour or just a family thing?
I am a Yamaha rider too. I chose to buy the TTR250 over the XT just for it's size. I wanted to pick my feet up and ride and get the best ground clearence I could. I still need to do a few upgrades for just a little more kick! I have looked into buying Dunlop 606 DOT tires for my TTR, I may be mistaken but I think they are a 80/20 (80 percent off road, 20 percent on road) tread....fairly aggressive but still managable for short highway rides. I have also purchased the Guts racing seat for a WR426 and will be buying a new seat for my TTR from them very soon (the duct tape is getting really sticky).
I'm interested in hearing about your adventures in Alaska and would love to swap stories and riding places.

"When in doubt....GAS IT!"

AKDirt

"When in doubt.....GAS IT!"

vixxin
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby vixxin » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:26 pm

I am going to buy this bike this week. How well do the seats fit? What other mods have people done. Any rear fender suggestions? Thanks.

Return to “Dualsporting In General”