Have XR 400 licenced in Oregon, Washington says noway!!!

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

bardahlracing
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Have XR 400 licenced in Oregon, Washington says noway!!!

Postby bardahlracing » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:56 am

OK, all you dual sporters, my good Bud just bought a street licenced (in Oregon), XR 400, he went to licencing in Washington state and was told matter of factly that Wa. no longer will licence for the road a bike that does not come from the factory road ready period, now I find it hard to believe that you can build a Glass dune buggy or a chopper from parts and licence it in WA. but a bike w/ a baja kit installed (this has it on it),cannot be licenced can anyone give any ideas for this nonsense or ways to get it relicenced in Wa.?, they typed in the vin # of bike and said nope!????? Help!!!

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:58 am

Hmmm.... this is the first I've heard of this! Not good. Let me check with my connections in WA on this.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Eric K
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby Eric K » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:59 pm

As a Washington resident the DMV is making our life challenging in every way possible. The licensing agencies in Washington look up the VIN prior to issuing a license. If the manufacturer designated it as off-road use only, then NO-GO.

The only manufacturers that *appear* to not be in the system are the small European manufacturers. I suspect that will change soon.

This is another method to shut down our enjoyment of dual-sporting and off-road riding in Washington.

Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC

GG116
in first gear
in first gear

Postby GG116 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:52 pm

Unfortunately, it's true. Since 1999, it has been all but impossible to license any machine with an original title stating 'Off-Road Use Only', no matter the modifications. Erik's right - some Euro bikes can still get away with it, such as the Gas Gas that I recently purchased, but I'd only give that another few months. I could go on and on about the idiocy of the state government here in Washington, but Tom's server probably couldn't handle the overwhelming amount of data. As for me personally, I'm leaving the state at the end of the year.

Scott
:? :x :evil:

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:10 pm

Well, if it's not already bad enough for my friends in Washington, now there's a few, rogue DMV employees doing the same thing in Oregon. Got any advice for us to fight this bogus situation before it gets worse here?
thanks,
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

GG116
in first gear
in first gear

Postby GG116 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:37 pm

Four baseball bats and three of your best friends sounds like a good start to me...

Just kidding, of course.

I'd do some research on the situation in California; some of Diane Feinstein's cronies in the state government were trying to ram a similar thing through, but were stopped cold due to some kind of a legal technicality. You can bet that District 37 is all over this - I'd contact someone from this district and get some ideas on how they've been managing the nonesensical legislative geeks.

Scott
8)

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:25 pm

Good call, Scott, I have some contacts there, so will look into it. :)
-Tom

dilyb
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Assembled bike?

Postby dilyb » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:16 am

If the Oregon transfer won't work due to the title search, it seems like the only remaining approach is to dissassemble and reassemble my bike to get a Wa license, eh? :cry:
Washington single track sod sampler
WOHVA Board

GG116
in first gear
in first gear

Postby GG116 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:35 am

dilyb,

Unfortunately, I don't even think that approach will work - WSP rules state that in order for any vehicle to be newly registered with a new title, receipts must be presented for every last part on the vehicle...at the time of inspection (you'd be amazed at the hoops one must jump through just to get a home-made trailer registered).

The People's Republic of Washington is not a friendly place for anyone who's not a dedicated tree-hugger.

Scott/GG116 :evil:

dilyb
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

The walls ARE closing in ...

Postby dilyb » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:15 am

Thanks, Scott. Yeah, what's a CRF450R trailriding guy to do in this state to connect a few trails together and get back to the truck, eh?
Washington single track sod sampler

WOHVA Board

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:03 am

That is SO bogus! They're trying to swing that way down here in Oregon too, as I've heard rumors of some people getting the same response from some DMVs.

Just don't get it. They would make more money licensing, plus more money ticketing people the may not have DOT tires and other extreme BS. I'm trying to make sure via OMRA that this does NOT happen in Oregon.
-Tom

GG116
in first gear
in first gear

Postby GG116 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:30 pm

DB - There is a way to do it. What part of the state are you in? Anthony at Ride Motorsports in Woodinville has a way. Since you ride a Honda, they will talk to you there...it may be worth stopping by on a Saturday to have a chat with Anthony, if you're able. The only hitch is that the bike can never have been off-road licensed in Washington.

Tom - You wanna know the real irony? DOT tires are not required on dual sport bikes in Washington. How's that for pretzel logic?

Talk later guys.

Scott/GG116 8)

GG116
in first gear
in first gear

Postby GG116 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:49 am

Did I mention the 4 baseball bat, 3 best friends idea yet?

Git R Dun!

GG116 :D

No Prisoners... :twisted:

Return to “Dualsporting In General”