Discuss the Black Dog Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

Guaglione
in first gear
in first gear

Thanks, everyone

Postby Guaglione » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:31 pm

Hi everyone,

It's Luca the broken leg guy. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who stopped and helped on Sunday when I had my little get off. Even though we we had quite a crowd of people standing around taking care of me, it seems like every single person that rode by and slowed to offer assistance. Actually, apparently, several people asked if we needed any Vicoden. Why I did not take them up on that is beyond me. I could have really used it when the EMT's took my boot off :shock:

For the curious: We (Dan T and myself) were at the top of that "service trail" that came after lunch on Sunday. we had gotten to the top of the dusty hillclimb, and were about 2/10ths of a mile from the FS Road. I was going fairly slow at that point, as I was trying not to eat much more of Dan's dust cloud. As I rounded a corner, my front wheel got a little funny, and I started to fall. As I can best guess, I must have had the clutch pulled in. As I fell, I let go of the clutch, and when the rear wheel engaged, the bike lurched forward, and caught my boot unter it, and spun my foot 180°, snapping my tibia and fibula.

I spent Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights in the Hospital in Portland. Monday evening, they operated on me to put a plate and screws on the tibia. I am in a splint for two weeks, then I get my stiches out, and a hard cast for a month or so.

Anyway, again, thanks to everyone who helped me, and everyone who put on this wonderful event. I look forward to attending the Sunday afternoon awards ceremony next year.

Cheers,

Luca Rattazzi
2002 Honda XR650R
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure
2007 BMW G650 X Challenge

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:45 am

Luca,
Glad to hear you're on the mend and your digger makes me cringe each time I read how it happened! "and spun my foot 180°" - egad! :shock:

Heal fast dude! :)
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Guaglione
in first gear
in first gear

pic of the break

Postby Guaglione » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:49 pm

ouch!!
2002 Honda XR650R

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:01 pm

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Guaglione
in first gear
in first gear

Postby Guaglione » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:16 pm

so last night I unwrapped my leg and cut open the padding because I thought one of the incisions might be getting a little tender:

All in all it looks good. I head back to Portland tomorrow to get the stiches out and get a hard cast put on.

BTW, Tom, Dan Townsley delivered my Hard Luck Rider trophy on Friday. Thanks to everyone for that! I have it proudly displayed in the living room.

Cheers,

Luca
2002 Honda XR650R

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:19 am

That's nasty Luca! :shock: Heal fast Brau!
-Tom
PS: No drink in your hand as part of that pic? :wink:
Last edited by Tawmass on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveO
pulling in the clutch
pulling in the clutch

Postby DaveO » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:36 am

Glad to hear you're on the mend Luca, it looks pretty good! Next time, take the damn Vicodins we toss at you!!!

Guaglione
in first gear
in first gear

Postby Guaglione » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:51 pm

Hi Tom,

In fact, I was tossing back an ice cold Pacifico with lime when I took that shot...but I can't drink too much, as I am on a steady flow of Vicodin.......

Got back from my follow up in Portland yesterday. The doc put me in a "Fracture Boot" rather than a hard cast, which rules, because I can take it off to shower and to start stretching out my ankle. I am still looking at six weeks of no weight bearing, but they still expect me to make a 100% recovery.

Anyway, my totally awesome girlfriend just dumped a mess of new MSR riding gear on my lap, to replace the stuff that the medics cut off of me...Super cool!!

Cheers,

Luca
2002 Honda XR650R

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:22 am

Hey Luca,
You better keep her! :D
Glad to hear you don't have to wear a dang solid cast!
-Tom

Guaglione
in first gear
in first gear

Postby Guaglione » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Hey Everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know that I am finally back on the bike. I am almost healed up, and the doc cleared me to ride. My leg still swells up real funny, but I can walk and ride. Who needs anything else, right?

I ought to be back in shape for next year's Black Dog!

Luca
2002 Honda XR650R

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:21 pm

Great to hear, Luca, thanks for the status!
-Tom

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Postby RedMenace » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:42 pm

too cool,Luca!
Vernon Wade(The Red Menace)
Sidecar and Trike instruction
adventuresidecar.com

Return to “Black Dog 2-Day Dualsport/Adventure Ride”