Rat Dog - Let's talk about core dualsporters!

Discuss the Rat Dog Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rat Dog - Let's talk about core dualsporters!

Postby Tawmass » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 am

For those that didn't show, here's a summary:
* It rained - HARD! I showed up late Friday night and there were lines of RVs and campers at Trask Co. Park. There were EZ-Ups everywhere and one good campfire, that the weather was doing its best to put out. Frank's antics with gasoline kept it heaping (You're a crazy man, Frunk! :) ) The rain didn't let up but once that I know of at the lunch stop at Trask Store.

* I didn't sleep all night due to the pounding of rain on the trailer roof I was sleeping in. At 6ish in the morn, I got up and people were actually signing up to go ride! I said to myself, "Self, WTF?!" My plans were to cancel the riding portion of the event, everyone just hang and head to the provided lunch at the Store, come back, do a few games, hand out prizes and call it a day. Hell's fire - people were milling all around ready to ride! I ended up cancelling the 'riding' portion of the event, however I directed everyone to a short, fun part of the North Loop to 'get their feet wet'. This will be a fun ride to write about. (Yes, I'll get off my duff and do more ride reports!) A bunch of folks sojourned out into the hurricane.

* After a few miles, most peeps had their fill, but some kept going. Unreal, and definately hardcore! Due to the 'official' riding being cancelled, my sweep dudes were thankful, so we sat around and drank coffee and benchraced.

* BBQ'd burgers awaited everyone at Trask Store and the rains actually lightened up a bit as everyone fed their pie hole.
* Then it was a parade back for playing cards pulled from a can for points. (I'll post them in the DS Series results soon) and assorted other trophies. Steve Simon won the $100 bill, the lucky dog!
* We were STOKED to see so many great friends show up from so far away like Lisa and Herman Hill from Montana, Chris Culbertson from Sacramento, etc. Most awesome! Kelley Kinser even RODE his KLR from Seattle and back - basically in a firehose!
* HUGE, MAD PROPS FOR ALL OF YOU THAT SHOWED! I'm telling you, this REALLY helped out and made an event that was destined to be in the red, somewhat less painful financially. I gotta say I/we had a ball nonetheless and you all are CLASS ACTS! We hope you get a chance to get out and try your rollcharts at a better-weathered time.

* Of course, many thanks go out to Dan Hatcher - he's the man! Also to Dan's girlfriend Dawn, Juenemann's (Milo, Warren, Dale, Nick), Jim Dukes, John Hughes, Frank Noe, Walt Koch, Clyde Kersting, ODF's Kelly Foster, Curt Schonbroud, Trask Store, Billy Toman, and of course Beaverton Honda-Yamaha.

Okay, we've had our bad-weather event, now we get five more years again of awesome weather, so see ya next year! Oh, I would sure love to get photos of the event that I could use for a future article.

Ride on,
-Tom and the Gang
PS: I've updated the OMRA Dualsport Series points with Rat Dog results.
Last edited by Tawmass on Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:36 am, edited 7 times in total.
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Drowned Rat Dog

Postby RedMenace » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:28 am

Tom, this one has got to go down in history as the "Drowned Rat Dog" !
The little taste I did get of the country there makes me want to return during better weather. What I could see was spectacular!

( I never knew Hatcher was so artistic :lol: Thanx for taking the pix, Dan!)
Vernon Wade(The Red Menace)
Sidecar and Trike instruction
adventuresidecar.com

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:45 pm

Yes, it sure was a Swamp Rat fo' sho'!
Those pix don't do the torrent justice! :lol:

Thanks again for showing Vern - always have a great time with ya and (pun intended) rain check on the sidecar ride :!:
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Dive
WFO
WFO

Postby Dive » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:57 am

lol, too funny, I think we could have all used those snorkels.

Good pic and it fits this years ride oh soooo well.

Dave

Danno
VIP
VIP

Drowned Rat Dog

Postby Danno » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:29 pm

Hey CamoMenace, You're welcome on the pix...I didn't want to take off my goggles 'cause my glasses would get wet..Hence I was so fogged I could barely see the ground let alone see a flying Ural in the dark, dank, dripping forest :roll: Glad you made it down, but you're other monkey is cuter. Oh well it was good seeing Vince anyway. Thanks for the bevy at the campfire, must not of had too much as I wasn't sore anywhere in the morning. :wink:

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:27 am

Danno - you crack me up. 8)

As a side note, we plan on doing something special for the riders who signed up for this year's soggy Rat Dog. Just want to be sure you feel like you got your money's worth and that you'll come back! :)
-Tom

lovalljm
WFO
WFO

Postby lovalljm » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:36 pm

Tom: I wouldn't miss a BLACK OR RAT DOG. I have to admit it "RAINED". George and I had a terrific time. We did get a little wet even with rain gear on. But, what the heck, we are "real" dualsporters. Well, OLD, dualsporters..... Thanks for an awesome time and we will be back next year.. Jim Loveall

Danno
VIP
VIP

Jim and George got wet?

Postby Danno » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:43 pm

Jim...I saw that rolling Hilton that you all were staying in..I can't believe you got that wet :o It was two days before Sharon even came out! She was probably lost in there and couldn't find the door :shock: It was good seeing you guys again. I wished you had slowed Dive down a little bit for the average on Sunday so he wouldn't of been so :evil:

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Postby RedMenace » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:29 pm

here's a picture of my co-driver, Vince Goltz, playing to the camera. He got all three wheels off the ground in several directions!

this is with street treads on the bike-it was raining so hard we didn't feel like changing the tires. I did put knobs on it the next day and went up in the hills to play in the mud. The Ural did fine at the RatDog with street tires, but, DAMN! It is AWSOME with knobbies on!

adventuresidecar.com

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:53 pm

Very cool, Vern! Bet it was interesting to watch Vince throw out an anchor before he hit those old lookout-tower cement bases on Hembre Summit! :lol:

-Tom

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Postby RedMenace » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:39 pm

Tawmass wrote:Very cool, Vern! Bet it was interesting to watch Vince throw out an anchor before he hit those old lookout-tower cement bases on Hembre Summit! :lol:

-Tom

He denies it, but actually, he did hit one. My favorite was the time he lost it at the lip and it stalled sliding sideways back down. He hit that mound 5 or six different times from different directions and it was spectacularly hilarious each time-Michael got most of it on film, but I haven't seen the video yet.

adventuresidecar.com

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Postby RedMenace » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:21 pm

vince did seem like he was enjoying himself...

adventuresidecar.com

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Postby RedMenace » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:44 pm

adventuresidecar.com

Danno
VIP
VIP

Postby Danno » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:46 am

RedMenace wrote:Image
:shock: VERN..I wish you could've seen me coming around this same corner to the bridge. I was de-fogging my goggles, from the photo shoot of you guys in the woods, and I forgot that the bridge was coming up. Where is that confounded bridge? Bang! There it is! Not wanting to turn sharp on slick wood at 20 mph, I just let it drift. I rode the middle on the last half on landed smooth on the other side. Thank God for my Guardian Angels! Danno

Return to “Rat Dog 2-Day Dualsport-Adventure Ride”